Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

Sounds great guys! :)
For that fruit cake one...by candided cherries..what kind do you mean? The ones in a jar..like maraschino?

Sounds great guys!
smile.png

For that fruit cake one...by candided cherries..what kind do you mean? The ones in a jar..like maraschino?
They actually have candied fruits in the baking section - near the nuts and chocolate chips and stuff. Usually on the top shelf since they are not really a huge seller. They are kinda like marashino, but alot firmer and almost dried. I have seen them in green and red colors. marashino are too moistto use in a recipe like this.

Some yummy sounding recipies here good to remember the Great Depression recipies for the Great Recession since they don't want to call it a depression thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
This recipe is one I developed when we had absolutely NO money. Don,t laugh, they are very good! They can be re-heated in the microwave. They can be made healthier if you substitute whole wheat flour for the white flour. You can add different herbs.
You can add cheese or veggies. Great with tomato soup. As far as I know, as the inventor, only my family has made these, although I did post them one other time on a food mag site. I would love to hear input back,as the recipe is so strange!

Ramen Bicuits

1 pkg ramen ( I used chicken)
2 c very hot water

2 tbs butter or margarine- melted
1/2 c buttermilk (or plain yogurt) or milk with 1 tsp vinegar added
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp parsley dried, add more if using fresh
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
preheat oven to 375 degrees
spray 4 cups of a muffin tin including top with cooking spray (or oil well)

Break ramen into 4 pieces
Put with packet of soup base into a bowl and soak for 5 minutes
DRAIN VERY WELL

whisk all other ingredients together

put about 1 tbs of batter into each cup, top with softned, noodles and finish with remaining batter
bake until golden about 15 minutes- eat hot

good topped with anything gooey or creamy, ie. creamed chicken, creamed tuna, spaghetti sauce etc......
OK, I was going to read through them all first, but I have to give this recipe to my daughter. She would live off ramen noodles if she could!! Awesome creativity!

Apple Crisp, I've seen several variations on that recipe. Here's one from my MIL's recipe box, we make it at least once or twice a year.

1/4lb butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
peeled and sliced apples

Sprinkle apples with sugar and cinnamon if tart, place in deep baking dish. In a separate bowl, melt butter, stir in brown sugar. Mix in oatmeal. Press the oatmeal mixture on top of the apples. Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes.

The amount of apples isn't specified, we usually fill the baking dish as we slice, sprinkling cinnamon between layers of apple slices, until it's almost full and then press on the topping. You can also sprinkle on the topping for a slightly different texture. I'm not really fond of overly sweet dishes and tend to add in more oatmeal than it calls for, even sprinkling some down in with the apples. It soaks up the juice that cooks out of the apples and gets a really nice flavor. The recipe also works well for peaches and pears, if canned, drain the juice and set aside for something else, or drink it.

I'm loving the recipes here, many remind me of the food we ate when I was growing up. A special thank you for the mock apple pie, a while back we ended up with an over-abundance of crackers that were stale. I thought of that pie to try and use some of them up but couldn't find a recipe for it anywhere and my husband had never heard of such a thing. Now I'll have it saved for next time.
smile.png
Cooked oatmeal?

Corndogs
This in enough batter for about 6 hotdogs.

1-cup flour
2/3-cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
1 egg
3/4-cup milk

Remove the hotdogs from the package and roll them up in paper towels to dry them; let them sit in the paper towels while you make the breading. The breading will not stick to wet hotdogs.

Put the hot dogs on a Popsicle sticks

Mix the ingredients together. Place the batter in a tall glass; the batter will be thick.

Dip the hotdogs in the batter and fry at 375°. Cook two corndogs at a time, rolling the corndogs against one another to cook evenly on all sides.

Cook until golden brown; drain on paper towels.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom