Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

big_smile.png
One of the most easiest recipes to cook is the French Fried Onions on Chicken Breast.

All you do is crush the French Fried Onions in a baggie, I add a little cajun spice to it to spiff it up. Crack an egg and beat it up. Dip 3-4 small chicken breast in your egg and mash into the french fried onions.

Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. So very simple and delish. The chicken is soo very moist.

Also, we fry our okra with potatoes and onions. Just cut up your okra into slices, cut your potatoes as you would french fries and your onions in small slivers. Toss with a little bit of salt and pepper and cornmeal. Fry in really hot oil. Voila! You got a meal right there.

A nice Texas sized meal!
lol.png

Quote:
I've seen that one before. I love that little old lady! Shes so adorable. Thanks for sending the link along!
smile.png

I love this thread. I just lost my grandmother a couple of months ago and this reminded me of her. She was 94.
Here is her recipe as my sister wrote it down while she was making it. She did it from memory and couldn't even tell her with out making it. She just kind of dumped it all in and had never measured it. We have always called it Grandma's Depression Chocolate Pie and we had it for every holiday. She explained it as they had to just make do with what they had. It is my mother and my sisters and my fav. Choc. pie recipe. Some of our children think it is to chocolaty. Could there ever be such a thing as to chocolaty???? I think it is just because their is less sugar.

Grandma's Depression Chocolate Pie

1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c sugar
2 egg yolks
4 tbs cocoa and flour (use the best cocoa you can find we always use hershey's)
cook till thickened
add 2 tbls butter or oleo

Pour in pre cooked pie crust.
Sometimes we have this with merange on top. Grandma never did. Just pudding and crust. Yum I may have to go make this soon.

Quote:
And I sometimes like to add bacon ..just a little....

Love it with Bacon too but we hardly ever have leftovers of bacon.......we're piggies with bacon!!!
droolin.gif

Quote:
And I sometimes like to add bacon ..just a little....

Love it with Bacon too but we hardly ever have leftovers of bacon.......we're piggies with bacon!!!
droolin.gif

I've got to try this soup..seems like everyones had it but me!
sad.png
And it sounds delish!

This hamburger gravy is a favorite of mine, my Mom would fix this for breakfast served over toast or fried potatos, she used milk instead of water, Ive use both and its good either way. It brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom