Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

Wow...I'm hungry now. Guess what we are having for dinner tonight!
lol.png

My kids fav. meal is stuffed freanch toast, basically it's a home made jam sandwich then dipped in egg then in cornflakes then into a pan.
One of my old recipies I love is hoe cakes

hoe cakes
2 cups corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups boiling water
oil for frying I use bacon fat:) put the ingrediants together wait until warm enough to tough , make patties then fry until lightly browned. We add sugar if we want sweet ones.

alot of my favorite recipes come from the hill billy house wife site.

Cook a big pot of rice...
In a large pot make dark roux with flour and oil...
Add water, onions and whatever meat you happen to have...chicken, pork, beef, squirrel, blackbird, dove, etc.... and cook it till it's tender.
Serve the meat and gravy over the rice with whatever vegetable you get out of your garden....or this time of year it was usually out of the freezer, collards, black eyed peas, corn or green beans.

Hey Betty, we grew up with that one. My grandmother, who lived across the street from us as a kid (what a blessing THAT was!), used to make a similar dish about once a week. That roux was a big deal, because she made it out to be one! But that was good food though. Thank you for your suggestion, a reminder of good times.

Ken

Quote:
I have made these with homemade and frozen bread dough (Both work) all you do is wrap a frozen dog all the way up in the bread dough and let it rise once risen throw it in the oven on 350 until the dough looks like a lil loaf of bread pull it out butter it lightly then let it set for a minute or two, cut it open add dog stuff (anything you put on it) there you go a dog in a homemade bun.
Dog is fully thawed and cooked, man our they good and if you do it with hot links or lil smokeys they are great for teen snacks or at a party my teens loved them when they were growing up.

(Pssst make a bunch and freeze them after they are cooked take them out to thaw during the day the teens can reheat them in the microwave after school and when you get home from work you won't hear I'm hungry) Thats what I did and my kids friends loved hanging out at our house lol

Quote:
Bread dough will rise with a frozen hot dog inside? Why not use a thawed dog? When I make kolaches my little sausages are thawed. Anyway that sounds like a good idea, will give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom