Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

I have 2 recipes that I'd like to share.

This is a really great homemade corned beef - you know how expensive those can be - even on sale.

you can use either a venison/game roast , a beef brisket or any other tough cut of meat you might have.

2 -3 lb meat roast
2 quarts spring or distilled water
1/2 cp canning salt
1/2 cp tenderizing salt like Mortons Tenderquick
3 tbs. sugar
2 tbs pickling spices
8 peppercorns ( if not in the pickling spice
1 or 2 minced garlic cloves

place meat in large glass or pottery bowl. also can use a freezer bag if you have one big enough that will seal tightly

combine the rest of the ingredients and heat to just boiling. cool and then pour over the meat
regrigerate 4 or 5 days turning meat occasionally. rinse with cold water and discard brine.

to cook: place in dutch oven and cover with cold water. heat to boiling - drain - cover with water again, and simmer until tender 3 - 4 hours
add potatoes, carrots, onion, and cabbage for the last 45 minutes. if you would like you could add a tbs of pickling spice to the pot while cooking.

this an excellent vintage cake recipe:

Grandma's Vinegar Chocolate Cake

4 1/2 cp flour - 3 cp sugar - 1 1/2 tsp salt - 3 tsp soda - 9 T cocoa - 3 t vanilla - 3 t vinegar - 3 cp cold water - 1 stick butter or marg. melted

sift all dry ingredients - mix vinegar, vanilla,and water add to dry ingred. mixing well. add melted butter and mix well. pour into a Large baking pan and bake 350 until done. makes a large cake

while warm top with:

Chocolate Icing:

2 c sugar - 3/4 cp cocoa - 1/2 cp butter - 1/2 cp milk

combine all in saucepan and heat slowly until boiling. boil 5 minutes, then beat until spreading consistency - spread on cake and enjoy

Quote:
Mmmm......this looks great! Thank you Blue. It was my girlfriend's birthday yesterday and my electricity was off all day for maintenaince, so today is the day to have her over to celebrate. I think she and two little girls will be singing your praises later in the day
smile.png

Quote:
Mmmm......this looks great! Thank you Blue. It was my girlfriend's birthday yesterday and my electricity was off all day for maintenaince, so today is the day to have her over to celebrate. I think she and two little girls will be singing your praises later in the day
smile.png

my MIL makes this cake with milk that has gone a day or 2 past fresh and then drizzles a glaze over it, its awesome and we call it Nana's Sour Milk Cake

I read through all 22 pgs last night! Lots of good recipes to try. I didn't see anything like this one, a Tomato Soup Cake, so I'll add it. It tastes like a spice cake or light gingerbread.

Tomato Soup Cake

1/2 cup shortening (or substitute 1/3 cup butter)
1 cup sugar (or substitute 3/4 cup honey)
1 cup tomato soup, undiluted
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup raisins, optional
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Blend the shortening with sugar. Stir baking soda into tomato soup and add to shortening/sugar mixture. Sift dry ingredients and add the mixture. Stir in raisins and walnuts if desired. Pour into greased and floured 13 x 9” cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

A white or cream chesse icing go well wih this. Also, whipped cream makes a great topping.

ETA: A friend of my mother's shared this recipe about 40 yrs ago. My family has been making it ever since. It was my younger brother's favorite cake when we were kids.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey, this one looks interesting too, but I have one question: is the 'undiluted' tomato soup something like the Cambells condensed soup straight from the can? Or perhaps homemade....? I guess what I'm trying to get at is what consistancey should the soup be? Thanks.

Quote:
Hey, this one looks interesting too, but I have one question: is the 'undiluted' tomato soup something like the Cambells condensed soup straight from the can? Or perhaps homemade....? I guess what I'm trying to get at is what consistancey should the soup be? Thanks.

It's for commercially canned soup - like Campbell's or a store brand

Quote:

It's for commercially canned soup - like Campbell's or a store brand

Great! What with that lovely chocolate cake and now a tomato soup cake I think it would be fair to say that my diets starts ...... um....well, maybe next month
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I made this cake this week using the oatmeal and the cinnamon. I also added a pinch of nutmeg and ginger. It was moist, tender and yummy. Thanks for the recipe, I can tell this versatile recipe is going to be a big favorite around here.

We are having a get-together tomorrow at my daughter's house and I plan to make an almond/vanilla version of this cake by replacing one cup of flour with 2 cups of almond flour and a little extra vanilla. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom