Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

I agree I miss derp

Pebbles is always flying around as are my all my Phoenix, they fly across whole fields and are still able to swoop up at the other end. My friesians are as well but less grace full. They are chamois pencilled friesians,

I have liked the thought of favs since reading this thread but if they don't stand up to themselves I don't think they would do well with me as my chickens are mainly flighty breeds with a bit of energy.........
How are the young ones, have they been mixed yet? Or do you let them mix free range so the little ones can get away if it turns nasty

I'm sorry you have all been missing Derp, while the Fud Lady has been so busy!
It's also been rain and mud and mud and rain here. Add in a healthy dose of molting, and the chickens haven't been photogenic.

I was able to get out with the chickens for a few hours between raindrops and snowy wind this week and caught a photo for you all.

Derperella loves Chair. Then sometimes, sometimes she does not love Chair.
It is a complex relationship.
You see, and it's very important... during some parts of the year, there are all these things in the yard.
Crickets, worms. Grasshoppers, grubs,-- things. Good things. Things Derperella needs.
When all of these things are in the lawn, in the yard, just living there and waiting for Derp, she must put Chair out of her mind for a while. She must concentrate on the things. Derperella is only able to concentrate on one thing at a time, and so Chair is put on the backburner. Never forgotten, though...
For, when the weather starts to turn cold once again, and all of the things in the yard die, or sleep, or burrow deep into the soil, Derperella remembers Chair.
Oh, Hai Chair. I love you.

I agree I miss derp

Pebbles is always flying around as are my all my Phoenix, they fly across whole fields and are still able to swoop up at the other end. My friesians are as well but less grace full. They are chamois pencilled friesians,
I have liked the thought of favs since reading this thread but if they don't stand up to themselves I don't think they would do well with me as my chickens are mainly flighty breeds with a bit of energy.........
How are the young ones, have they been mixed yet? Or do you let them mix free range so the little ones can get away if it turns nasty

Your birds are beautiful! I love the thought of smaller, agile chickens... someday!! Right now I just have everything in my yard/woods that would very much like to eat smaller chickens (or, any unsupervised bird)...
Plus I am out of room in my coop. Maybe later when we get a garage, and the shed can become a new coop... (enter more insane chicken plotting...)

I free ranged the chicks with the big girls for a few weeks, then started putting the chicks out with the older girls in their large, but enclosed run, during the day. I made sure the babies ate before I put them out, and brought them in to eat and roost indoors. Eating and roosting are the two times of day that Chicken Drama
2122.png
occurs in my flock, despite having several feeders now and a larger roosting area. All of the big girls just have strong opinions on who will eat next to whom, or where everyone sleeps... Since I knew these times had the most potential for chick-whoopin', I cut them out of the routine for the chicks for a while.
After the chicks seemed to be pretty well blended with the flock, I started leaving them outside all the time, though I was constantly a worried mother and ran out to check on them... probably a little too much! The good news is that they are eating and roosting with the hens, no problem. There are minor squabbles at food and roosting time, of course! And for the most part the chicks are submissive and remove themselves from the drama, but Mildred especially is very mellow and calm, and gets along with the older hens pretty well. They chase her a little bit, but for the most part I think she is already around the middle of the pack.
The rooster, Baron Rufflerump... now affectionately nicknamed "Puddles" (when he lays down, he becomes a puddle of grey feathers!)... well, he's a bit of a wimpy guy for now.
Still, it's going as well as it can! I cannot expect perfection when introducing new babies to 2-year-old-hens. The chicks are not stressed and are getting plenty to eat, and seem very content. They were all dustbathing in a giant pile yesterday morning when we had some sunshine!

I think it helps that the babies are no longer "peeping".

I keep saying babies... but they are fully larger than my older hens now!!

Willow has started to follow The Baron around. I think she is waiting for him to grow up. I know of all my hens, she misses Trousers the most.

Nam broth could you get some pictures of the inside of your coop and the perch, + plus the run! no reason I'm just curious :D
You should try friesians out, they aren't too small and they are great foragers and do very well in cold weather, they are also great characters

Last edited:
Derperella is only able to concentrate on one thing at a time, and so Chair is put on the backburner. Never forgotten, though...
For, when the weather starts to turn cold once again, and all of the things in the yard die, or sleep, or burrow deep into the soil, Derperella remembers Chair.
Oh, Hai Chair. I love you.

That just shows that Chair is a true friend - the sort that you may not see for a long while, but who understands the reason why, and is just as happy to see you as you are to see them when you are finally able to get together again.
hugs.gif
Friends like Chair are the best ones to have!

Back
Top Bottom