Desert Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by laden christoff, Apr 30, 2008.

1. laden christoff

laden christoff New Egg

Apr 30, 2008
    OK, i was in 4-h for about 4 years and i did dog and rabbit, m brother try to do chickens, well it didn't work out but we still have a vast breeds of female chickens, we learn that the desert has a bit more hazard then other places, (dealing with the rapid change of heat, wind, and humanity that has but 6 of our chickens to the dirt, we learn different ways to help them handle it.

my question is which breed of chicken does well in the desert, that looks good to(maybe a male that can keep his mouth shut).

p.s. I'm a fan of polish crested males. would they work?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The only thing I can add is that any Medeterranean breed should work.

3. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    i know that polishes are not the best for drastic changing weather but you never know

4. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I am in Arizona and we have my son's 4-H bantam showbirds; modern games, old english, and D'Uccles. I also have RIRs, BR and BO.

As long as you have plenty of water, shade and a place for them to dust bathe, they do pretty well. You can also put bottles of ice in the run and they will lay against them to keep cool. They are doing ok with the heat in the day and the cooler nights.

Good luck with your choice.

5. laden christoff

laden christoff New Egg

Apr 30, 2008
    thank you all for ur advice, i went with the cornist, well calm little thing. thanks 4 ur time!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by