Detached Air Sacs from shipped eggs under my Broody hen

Cristalzita

In the Brooder
May 16, 2019
This is my first time hatching and I was only prompted to because one of my hens goes broody every summer. This year I ordered her fertilized eggs and she has been diligently sitting on them. I was having trouble candeling on the 10th day and to be honest I saw that most people recommend not doing it too much, plus I thought it'd be impossible to check all 12 without removing her and disturbing her nest too much so I left it be. I did think I saw the indication of blood vessels it was just so faint and I just wanted to put the egg back.
It's now Day 16 and I decided to check one on each side of her. I noticed now that the liquid inside was moving and the air sac was not staying in place. Now I know that this is a detached air sac and it most likely happened during transit, this might have been the "vien" I thought I saw but I'm honestly not sure. There are other eggs with air sacs that are static but they are definitely bigger than I've seen in other pictures. Some are definitely saddle shaped others are just circular but it's taking up a third of the egg space. Is this normal since it is so close to hatch day?

I am very discouraged that viable eggs were damaged in transit, and I want to give my broody the best chances to hatch. The Hatcher I order from is too far away for me to pick up from, I'm sure there are local farmers around, but I don't know how I'd go about asking for fertile eggs, any advice or input on my overall situation, thank you for taking the time to read it.

Hi, I’m not sure if there’s any guides of shipped eggs while using your own broody; but you could try to incorporate some of Pete’s tactics for shipped eggs and see if you get any success if you decide to order eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom