Determining Gender

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Threewyandottes, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Threewyandottes

Threewyandottes Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    Hello,
    Is there any way to tell the gender of young chicks from their behavior?
    Also, does anyone know roughly how long it takes for food to go through a chicks digestive system?

2. Better Than Rubies

Better Than Rubies Crowing

Oct 20, 2017
    Hi! :welcome Glad to have you here on this lovely day! :D
    No, I'm sorry; I don't believe anyone can determine the gender in the way they act; at least not for a while, probably. And as for the second question, I'm not sure, either, so I'll call in a more knowledgeable person! @casportpony. :)

3. Chasingcars

Chasingcars Songster

Sep 15, 2017
    Derbyshire , England
    Other than my legbars...I spend many a hour watching my chicks and guessing their sex based on their behaviour and my success rate is dreadful! So no I’d say it can’t be done but if anyone has a secret way to tell then share! :)
    Chicken digestive system is about 12hours ..assuming chicks about the same but could be wrong!

4. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Howdy, Welcome! No you cannot tell the gender by activity! You can usually tell by 4 to 5 weeks by the color and development of the comb and wattles. Here's a comparison photo of a rooster and hen at 6 weeks. Both are black giants. See the difference? This is what will tell you quicker than the way they act. As for how long to digest, I really don't know but I would guess no more than 24 hours.???

rooster & sister small.jpg

5. Threewyandottes

Threewyandottes Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    Houston, Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: