Deterring night time predators?

Sammbalina

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2018
Shelby County, AL
I was wanting to know how others deterred nighttime predators. I'm not too worried about the day-timers because my stepdad sits in the back yard a lot, and there is a roof on the coop, so I'm not too worried about aerials. In my area we have coyotes, bobcats, domestic cats and dogs, raccoons, possum, skunks, and the rarely seen bears and cougars. What do you all do to deter predators? I found this https://www.homedepot.com/p/HomeBri...Security-Motion-Alarm-Detector-EW-1/202543950 and was wondering if anyone thought it would work. I figure even if it doesn't scare off whatever is getting too close to the hutch, it might at least wake us up. I'm not sure exactly how loud it is, but wondered if anyone thought it would be worth a try.

Secure your coop the best you can. The only thing I can think of as a deterrent would be electric fencing. Many peeps bait their Hot Wire fencing to entice predators to try the flavor of electricity. :gig:th
The electricity only jolts the animal, but does not harm it. :thumbsup
They learn quickly to stay away.
During the day when not necessary, just switch the fencing off.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I was wanting to know how others deterred nighttime predators. I'm not too worried about the day-timers because my stepdad sits in the back yard a lot, and there is a roof on the coop, so I'm not too worried about aerials. In my area we have coyotes, bobcats, domestic cats and dogs, raccoons, possum, skunks, and the rarely seen bears and cougars. What do you all do to deter predators? I found this https://www.homedepot.com/p/HomeBri...Security-Motion-Alarm-Detector-EW-1/202543950 and was wondering if anyone thought it would work. I figure even if it doesn't scare off whatever is getting too close to the hutch, it might at least wake us up. I'm not sure exactly how loud it is, but wondered if anyone thought it would be worth a try.

I use Nightguard or Predator Guard on my coop as most highly rated for poultry protection. Not too expensive. Make sure hardware cloth apron of 19 g 1/2 inch 2 ft out surrounds base of coop for digging predator protection. Some also line rock around coop base. Also use HWC for run or windows of coop and over ventilation areas.

You can always try one and see how it works. It isn't too expensive. I used motion lights years ago but the predators got used to them and they would go on a few times every night. Now I have electric wire around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and a heavy duty netting over all of my pens. I have several game cameras on my property and most nights I see some predator on at least one camera.
IMAG00011014 01.jpg

You can always try one and see how it works. It isn't too expensive. I used motion lights years ago but the predators got used to them and they would go on a few times every night. Now I have electric wire around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and a heavy duty netting over all of my pens. I have several game cameras on my property and most nights I see some predator on at least one camera.View attachment 1575384
I figured they would get desensitized to the light, but this one also alarms, that way we would be alerted and could run out and chase it off, or even pull out the air rifle!

Fort knox coop, the only thing that could get into mine would be a bear, if that happens I will adjust. People who slap together a shelter and call it done are asking for trouble. You get what you put into it. Gary
I agree. We live on a dead end road. The predators use it like a highway. Here are a couple of coyotes.
DSCF0001tues 02.jpg
IMAG0001105 01.jpg

I figured they would get desensitized to the light, but this one also alarms, that way we would be alerted and could run out and chase it off, or even pull out the air rifle!
Yes, they will be desensitized to lights, even the red flashing ones...alarm will just have you running out when anything walks by, like the neighbor hood cat.
Best to just build your coop secure...and add hot wire if necessary.

I use a combination of hotwire fencing where the perimeter can encompass acres or just the pens themselves. Dogs patrol and I shine area repeatedly with spot light. What help with owls is having a night light making so chickens can see comings and goings and alert dogs and me. Dogs then run owl out. Light part needs refining as what I have currently bright enough to impact egg production, so lower outputs will be explored.

Back
Top Bottom