Deterring night time predators?

What difference does it make if predators do come around at night? They can't get in.....right? Can't get to the birds to do any harm.....right?

Two examples........these need not be elaborate, but do need to be sturdy and built of the right stuff.

20180516_123328.jpg IMG_9657.JPG

First house is on skids with a wood plank floor. Nothing can break in, climb in or dig in. Second is also on skids, with dirt floor, but with the apron around the perimeter, nothing can break in, climb in or dig in.

With adequate housing, once the door shuts behind them when the go to roost, they are safe from all harm.....and it doesn't matter what happens outside.

SUNP1107.JPG Keep dreaming...........

This was last nights visitor. This is the chick/grow-out coop. It knows the hot wire is there. The camera has the wrong date. Taken 10/31/18. I changed the batteries but forgot to check the date. I also changed the camera today. I put one of the better ones up.
DSCF00541031 02.jpg

This was last nights visitor. This is the chick/grow-out coop. It knows the hot wire is there. The camera has the wrong date. Taken 10/31/18. I changed the batteries but forgot to check the date. I also changed the camera today. I put one of the better ones up.
View attachment 1577033
Nice pets you attract,,,,, :idunno Do you go out and pet them:old:gig

Nice pets you attract,,,,, :idunno Do you go out and pet them:old:gig
No, I go out and shoot them if they mess with my birds. Put up a few cameras on your property and I bet you will be surprised what wanders around. Most nights I get a predator on at least one of the cameras. I did use the cameras in the past to catch a two legged unwanted visitor who would come visiting in the wee hours in the mornings not stealing chickens but other things.

I've found that the red eyes motion detectors work very well but I also like really hot (6+ joule) energizer and triple hot wires on the perimeter to keep peskies from coming close.

Red eyes motion detector?

If this is one of the devices that mimic the "red eyes" of a predator to scare others away, I doubt this is doing much good. The really hot fence, on the other hand, is.

On the "red eyes" predator lights, when you examine this critically, they don't make much sense. Predator's eyes don't glow, so no other predator has ever seen glowing eyes to be afraid of them. What animals with glowing eyes have is a reflective lining inside their eyes that amplifies light to enhance their night vision, along the same lines as night vision glasses. What we see as "glowing eyes" is the light reflected back at us from headlights, flashlights, spotlights etc. at it bounces back at us off that reflective coating. This includes a lot of animals like deer, cats, etc. Not just predators. Have you ever seen glowing eyes without a light?

So unless a predator shines a flashlight around to spot other animals, they have never seen glowing eyes to associate that with other predators. You would think the people who build and sell these things would know that, but I guess if they can get people to buy them, why not?

On the other hand, when an animal brushes up against that really hot electric fence, they are going to experience an extremely painful, violent shock that they never want to suffer again. Lesson learned is if you want to avoid that again, better stay away.

I have seen plenty of predators around my coops and pens. I've tried just about everything. I have a large flock which depending on the time of year can be from 200 to 500 hundred birds counting the chicks when I hatch. Because of predators in the past I have electric around my pens and coops, concrete under my gates and a heavy duty netting covering my pens. I haven't lost a bird to predators in a very long time. I did loose some Leghorn females some months back but they wouldn't stay in their pens and would always find a way out and eventually disappeared, Houdini1, Houdini 2 and Houdini 3. I do have several game cameras in different places on my property and most nights I get at least one on one of the cameras.

If you have a small enough flock you can put some chicken or welded wire or hardware cloth around the edge of your fence so predators can't dig. Most predators, especially nighttime, are diggers such as Bobcat, Coyote, Fox, Skunks, Possum. Ocassionally I see coons but they haven't tried to get to the birds yet. In the past I have lost birds to Coyote, Fox, Bobcat, Owls and during the day Hawks. I have had the others try with no success. The best defense is protection. The deterrents, the predators usually get used to them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/deterring-night-time-predators.1278814/#post-20595017

Last nights visitor.
IMAG0002111 08.jpg

I agree with secure coop and fencing.
I havent needed a hot wire yet but then I am in town so don't get big predators.
Mostly I get fox, coons and the odd skunk.

I go with denying entry.

Nighttime predators? Coyotes are 24 hour predators! Lost a hen that wouldnt stay with group two days ago. I was outside filling troughs, running table saw in driveway, dogs barking and noticed i was one short. The previous 3 attacks were at noon within 20 feet of the hose and dog pen. I adjusted free range time and so did coyotes. I have seen them trying to dig into run at noon. If you free range at any time they can be taken at anytime. Good strong run coop system has best guarantee. I have had dog and cows who knew when the electic fence wasnt working and breached it. It gives a low intenity noise they learn.
Havent lost a single bird at night but a dozen in last 5 years in daytime.

Back
Top Bottom