Devastated

freedom4

Hatching
Oct 22, 2016
Just posted 2 weeks ago to say I'd rehomed 4 ex battery hens after my old girl died at 8 and a half. Have kept them in the hen and added access to the last part of it today..still enclosed, 7ft high fence but no roof. They had access to soil for the 1st time and loved their 1st dust bath. Went out for a couple of hours this afternoon. Came back at 4pm and a fox has killed all of them. So sad....

So sorry to hear of your loss. If only a small comfort right now, you know your girls had a much better life with you and got to experience many new things.
hugs.gif

I've had my share of fox-related losses, too. While I try to remember that they're just doing what foxes do, it doesn't help the pain of the loss. I try to channel that in constructive ways, like ensuring that it's as difficult and as unwelcoming as possible for a fox to get near my chickens and ducks - for one, I've repaired a lot of fencing on my property. Fun stuff.

Your setup sounds pretty secure - do you know how the fox could have gotten in? A 7-foot fence seems too tall to climb...did it dig its way in?

Last edited:
Thank you. I've had a look and there's no holes. The fence is probably just over 6ft, wooden and criss cross. It could've jumped on something near the fence to get over it and must've just crawled all the way up it to get out. I'll have to put some netting over the top before I get some more.

I am so sorry! We had a neighbor's dog come to our yard and kill half of our very young flock on Father's Day of this year. It truly is devastating.

I try to remember that they're just doing what foxes do

It is better to remember what it is that WE are here to do. Protect our flock. Everything is "just doing what they do" that does not mean we should be holding all you can eat buffets for the local wildlife, unless that is "what you do". Me? I'd shoot em.

It is better to remember what it is that WE are here to do. Protect our flock. Everything is "just doing what they do" that does not mean we should be holding all you can eat buffets for the local wildlife, unless that is "what you do". Me? I'd shoot em.

Predators "doing what they do" refers to them engaging in their natural behavior, without imputing malicious intent. No responsible caretaker of domestic animals would intentionally offer their animals up as sacrifices to predators, and that's not what we're talking about here. The OP had measures in place to protect the flock.

Each individual who raises animals needs to make his or her own decision about what response is morally acceptable (and legally permissible) in their specific situation.

Last edited:
People may forget or not know that foxes are agile climbers. I've watched one climb a tree, and they rival cats.

Many predators are excellent climbers, so attention needs to be paid to preventing entrance into the run from the top in addition to measures to insure against digging underneath the outer perimeter.

Thank you 'TheLynchFlock' and I'm really sorry to hear you had that experience. And I had no idea foxes are agile climbers...I will certainly make changes

Thank you 'TheLynchFlock' and I'm really sorry to hear you had that experience. And I had no idea foxes are agile climbers...I will certainly make changes
Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
I've seen them climb over our 5' cyclone fence the same way the cats do,

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom