Devil chicks?

I was told plymouth rocks need 15sqft each outside and are very territorial. I could see if the feed store has more chicks still. My run has a roof. I had ducks previous and they liked their SPACE. I had the 2 story "coop" which is a coop-run and the rabbit hutch. They both went into the 8footx8foot wire enclosure. it's got a hardware cloth bottom (till 4 feet) then it's double chicken wire on top and otherwise. The ducks had a 30x30 semi-free range with a pond and then when I was home they had my 3 acres, 1/2 acre of which is cleared. Most summer days they were atleast in the semi-free range, if not totally free range.

I'm in the upper part of the mid New England states...
I would go get me one more of each! Your coop sounds like it will serve them. Then nobody will be left without someone of their kind.

I had both in my flocks. Kinda thought I prefer the BR but the red (who knows if it's really RIR or production) will lay way more eggs and eat less feed than the BR. One reason I don't like having all the same breeds is I like getting different color eggs and having a variety of eye candy in my yard. Being able to tell them apart helps if they show any health conditions. Same for eggs.

My Feb born BR started laying on the 4th of July last year. My June born girls (different breeds) are barely starting to lay this past month. I also wouldn't get later born chicks if I could avoid it. Because now my ones that barely started laying will still molt this fall. So less over all eggs. However, my girls that lay later do start with more full sized than pullet sized eggs.

I don't find my barred rock to be any more territorial than any other chicken. There is a pecking order and all will follow it. Reds can hold their on with rocks!

There's a chance this "devil" chick is a cockerel. Often, a rambunctious chick will turn out to be a feisty roo.
Hmm.... now you're thinking!
hmm.png

Nooooo
barnie.gif
the hatchery has a 98% rate of being correct. Please tell me I can't be that unlucky.
2 out of 2 of my GLW were boys. And one has a straight comb. But in all the years I've been doing chicks, maybe 5 years... that's the only time I ever got boys, though some had me worried.

Yesterday participated in a thread where 2 out 4 alleged pullets were cockerels and 1 of the 4 was completely the wrong breed. I haven't seen a hatchery claiming 98%... 90 and 95% usually. But mix ups do happen... sometimes at the feed store.

That doesn't mean it truly is a boy, just that it is a possibility. My feisty boys are always feisty to their brood mates. SO far it's actually my girls who have the desire to roam. And my property has many fences... so a girl was pacing a fence wanting to the other side. So I lifted it and she started pacing to get back where she just came from. My goats will come around and stick their head through the fence to eat where they just came from. I don't know why... but the grass does seem to be greener on the other side, no matter which side it is!

2 out of 2 of my GLW were boys. And one has a straight comb. But in all the years I've been doing chicks, maybe 5 years... that's the only time I ever got boys, though some had me worried.

Yesterday participated in a thread where 2 out 4 alleged pullets were cockerels and 1 of the 4 was completely the wrong breed. I haven't seen a hatchery claiming 98%... 90 and 95% usually. But mix ups do happen... sometimes at the feed store.

That doesn't mean it truly is a boy, just that it is a possibility. My feisty boys are always feisty to their brood mates. SO far it's actually my girls who have the desire to roam. And my property has many fences... so a girl was pacing a fence wanting to the other side. So I lifted it and she started pacing to get back where she just came from. My goats will come around and stick their head through the fence to eat where they just came from. I don't know why... but the grass does seem to be greener on the other side, no matter which side it is!

The hatchery claims 95%. The grain store makes no guarantees but said that they've experienced a complaints rate of 2 in 100. Given these birds stay local and you're bound to hear about it, I trust them. They never order Straight runs of the same birds they order only females of.

She defiantly has the desire to roam!
Oh, and the boys often seem to be confident and not run away from your hand.

And no, the chick did NOT imprint on somebody else already. Other than other chicks maybe.
smile.png

Actually, both of them like a good cuddle and are people friendly.

Follow up:

Since clearing what may have been pasty butt this morning the PR has settled down completely. She has now turned into a guard dog of sorts and runs interference between the cage wall and the feisty RIR.

Given the chance the RIR still wants to escape. She just does.

I've added a couple sticks, a few leaves, a pine branch, a large rock (that's rough and has dirt) and a few acorns. I've hand-fed them some meal worms. The PR really loves the pine branch.

Temp is still reading around 93 on the warm side to 70 on the cool side. They have probiotic water alternated with electrolyte water, plain water, and medicated feed.

They are a bit sleepier this afternoon, which is nice. Mostly I think that the RIR has worn herself out.

I can't go out today to get the other chicks, but I will see what they are up to tomorrow and make a final decision then

The hatchery claims 95%. The grain store makes no guarantees but said that they've experienced a complaints rate of 2 in 100. Given these birds stay local and you're bound to hear about it, I trust them. They never order Straight runs of the same birds they order only females of.

She defiantly has the desire to roam!

Actually, both of them like a good cuddle and are people friendly.
Just in case you miss understood what I meant... one of my GLW has a straight comb, wasn't straight run. They should have a rose comb.

Come to think of it... we have 2 LFS. And my one with the straight comb came from a different store than my SL and GLW that both ended up boys in the pullet bin on my second go around.

I don't think they use the same exact hatcheries... but not sure. And I picked them out of like 50! Should have contacted the store to see if they had any complaints... but we just ate them since that's what we do with most other boys. That isn't an option for most folks though. And I know feed stores usually do try to get all pullets as it serves their customers well.

Follow up:

Since clearing what may have been pasty butt this morning the PR has settled down completely. She has now turned into a guard dog of sorts and runs interference between the cage wall and the feisty RIR.

Given the chance the RIR still wants to escape. She just does.

I've added a couple sticks, a few leaves, a pine branch, a large rock (that's rough and has dirt) and a few acorns. I've hand-fed them some meal worms. The PR really loves the pine branch.

Temp is still reading around 93 on the warm side to 70 on the cool side. They have probiotic water alternated with electrolyte water, plain water, and medicated feed.

They are a bit sleepier this afternoon, which is nice. Mostly I think that the RIR has worn herself out.

I can't go out today to get the other chicks, but I will see what they are up to tomorrow and make a final decision then
Sounds good.... except... well, I was gonna say they need grit to digest meal worms. The feed doesn't need it though. But if you have sand/ dirt in there that should be good enough.

A good first treat is boiled smashed egg as well. Live meal worms are more nutritious. But make sure to limit treats as it can diminish valuable nutrients from not eating their regular feed. Not more than 5-10% of their total ration should be fed in treats.

I'm sure they will be much calmer once settled in.
thumbsup.gif

Sounds good.... except... well, I was gonna say they need grit to digest meal worms. The feed doesn't need it though. But if you have sand/ dirt in there that should be good enough.

A good first treat is boiled smashed egg as well. Live meal worms are more nutritious. But make sure to limit treats as it can diminish valuable nutrients from not eating their regular feed. Not more than 5-10% of their total ration should be fed in treats.

I'm sure they will be much calmer once settled in.
thumbsup.gif
They have some dirt. And I've hand-fed the mealworms...so they've had maybe 3? between the both of them. I did give them a bit of cucumber to peck at for interest.

I also have come into an interesting scenerio.

Is it possible they think the baby is part of their flock? I took them out for an afternoon play time and plunked the baby down. She's 8mo and not yet mobile. They get close, but not too close. The RIR didn't even try to run once. Baby would get excited and flap her arms, and both would make crazy circles and flap around. The louder she "talked" the louder they cheeped. When I had to put them away the baby let me know I'd made a mistake and lost her mind....and so did the PR.

They are getting drinks and playing now. Baby needs a nap....but the RIR is fired up again, ready to run.

So...do they think the baby is part of their flock? If so will getting 2 more solve that...or are they bonded to her?

Other times RIR's escaped or had wanderlust, baby was no where to be seen (napping/bed)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom