Dewlap African Geese...Post pics!!!

An African is the bird described by the APA, American Poultry Association, (if you're in the US) in The Standard of Perfection. They are large birds and have dewlaps. Most hatcheries sell a smaller bird without a dewlap under the same name. Breeders of true/show quality Africans use the terms dewlap or super to distinguish their birds from these inferior/lesser quality birds.

there's some muddiness in the way the "african" term is used.

I've got 3 brown chinese and 1 african - the brown chinese are 4 months older than the african, and (he's maybe 4 months?) - and at the moment I can't tell my smallest brown chinese from the african, they look identical. I don't know how much bigger he'll get, and he's got the long neck like the chinese.

my guess is they may actually all be brown chinese... nevermind that one was sold to me as african. I think it's pretty common to order "african" at some hatcheries and get what's really brown chinese.

the super african and dewlap african do look different than than what's commonly sold here as "african". the "super" birds have the dewlap, shorter neck, and they should be heavier.

roboboy, are those white chinese on the left of the second photo and in the center of the third photo? that's the shape and neck my brown chinese have. your africans look MUCH bigger bodied than those. if your whites are white chinese similar in size to my brown chinese, I think I'll have to order some super africans next year. I don't love the dewlaps, but it would be fun to have "draft horse" sized geese...

zzGypsy Yes, those are white chinese and all three of the pics I think. They must be almost as photogenic as the Africans. There is and should be quite a size difference between standard bred African and chinese.
Here is one more pic that shows that off a little better. (Provided you ignore the old chinese gander on the left who is standing up very straight at the moment making himself appear larger.)
PA021701.jpg

I've noticed that the Chinese geese seem to be a thinner, delicate looking bird. They seem to have more grace when they move. I'm getting a kick out of my Super African. I do feel like it's a she because she hasn't developed much of a nob yet which is ok by me. She is also very loud and nosy. I have a feeling she is going to be large and in charge!

I noticed the Sebbies Rare FEathers Farm. My pair are far from graceful...... roflol. They look the part standing still or just walking but the way they fall on there faces crack me up. It must hurt sometimes. They do shake it off and keep going. Sometimes I'll catch one jump up as if to pretend nothing happened. My Super African is the complete opposite. Very impressive foot action and fast. The goofy bird can really hang some tight turns too.

Back
Top Bottom