Dewlap African Geese...Post pics!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Addicted2Quack, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The Africans are developed from the swan geese and swans have a knob. I just figured they were called swan geese because they had knobs like a swan.

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Hi Jen, I got him from a woman in Pennsylvania. I plan on getting some geese from her in the spring. Let me find her contact info and I'll send it to you.

Laurie

3. Jen C

Jen C Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Oak Run, CA
    Quote:That would be wonderful. Thank you. Do you know if she ships eggs or goslings? He is a really beautiful boy. It is hard to believe that the whites were once popular enough that they made it into the standard and now you just never see them anymore (at least not here on the west coast).

Jen

4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Here is a older pic of my White African goose.

[​IMG]

I need to take some more pics. I have a nice young buff coming along this year.

5. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    The whites are fairly common up here in MN. Brian Schulte used to raise them. When he sold out, Brian Hauger bought him out. I know Hauger waterfowl supplies for Stromberg's hatchery now. I think Lance & Sheila Ewert (Ewerts Country Waterfowl) might have them too. We used to have quite a few til a bald eagle wiped them out last winter. We're down to just a pair of the whites now and a few browns.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jen C

Jen C Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Oak Run, CA
    Beautiful pics of the white Africans! I guess it is just on the west coast that they are so rare. I have never seen one at a show out here. They really are beautiful. I am already raising buffs and have a couple browns so figured I might as well get some whites too! Thanks for all the info everyone! With any luck I will be able to get some goslings this Spring.

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I just have my gander Dewey and I definitely want some more. I absolutely adore him. I didn't realize there were others that were raising them. Hopefully I can find several sources. YAY!!

Laurie

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Lovely pictures of the Whites and they look lovely [​IMG] Would love some to add to the group but just cant get any more stock at the moment!

9. flaming007

flaming007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    That is a nice looking gander!

10. flaming007

flaming007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by