Dewlap Exhibition Toulouse-Incubation Diary with Pics! Hatch Day!!!

Quote:
Good! Keep it up and do not give up!
It can go either way, but it's always more satisfying knowing you did everything you could for the baby.

Quote:
Hi Dave

Just to say a big THANK YOU for those words, its very kind of you to leave such positive comments and know my work has been worthwhile
smile.png

I knew when I started the thread that I was being a little over ambitous in hoping I would be able to complete the diary and with such a positive outcome. However I was determined to be fully honest with the results so others could see that even more experienced breeders can have setbacks. I think it was useful that thread started with the 6 Dewlap eggs being set but only 2 being fertile. With a 33% fertility rate it shows the problems in the Exhibition Dewlaps. We were delighted though that the 2 fertiles made it all the way through to complete the 'story' and keep the information relevant to all stages of incubation. I did get a bit of surprise when they were both breech though and thought the thread was going to end on a sadder note.

The youngsters are thriving and do appear to be a pair. The male looks good with a good head and body size. He's vital to our breeding programme as he's now introduced our Holderread line into the Buff programme. As their mother was a 2010 Buff she only laid 12 eggs in her first season. Of those 12 there was only 3 fertile and we lost 1 as an early death. However she's proven now and I hope next year we'll do better as I'll repeat this mating. The Holderread male has also fathered some goslings to our new 2010 grey female from Canadian lines so Ill be running them on also as the Gander's getting on in years now and I dont know how long he'll remain fertile. He's a wonderful bird with such fantastic type and size but also has a terrific temprament.

Here in the UK we're experiencing a very early heatwave with temps into the 70s (guess its going to be nice for the Royal wedding) though London has a smog warning as the pollution levels are so bad
hmm.png
Unfortunately its having an effect on the geese and I think they may go out of lay and into an early moult with these summer-like conditions. The plants and trees are weeks ahead of normal but its a glorious sight
cool.png
On another positive note the Rouens are laying now and we have some fertile eggs from that very good female whose mother won Best Rouen at our National Championship show last year so we're hoping for some nice stock to select from there
wink.png

The weather is having a positive effect on the Macaws now and they're all mating and I think eggs are imminent from quite a few of the pairs. Im hoping to get some chicks to run on from a young pair of Scarlets who have excellent size and colouration. Not all are that good as there appears to be 3 geographical forms which vary in size and brightness of colour, I'll be crossing all my fingers there but just caught them mating earlier this morning
smile.png

Hope you're ok too Dave and enjoying a geat breeding season. Here's a few pics to put you folks in the picture-so to speak. Excuse my indulgence on a goose thread
cool.png

80310_scarlets1.jpg

Scarlet Macaws about to mate.

80310_rouens1.jpg

The Rouens enjoying the spring weather.

80310_garden1.jpg

The Rouens in the spring garden

80310_bluebells2.jpg

Yes its me!!! In our Oak wood with the children (hatched them 5yrs and 1 yr ago!!!

Now you can all put a face the name
wink.png

Pete
smile.png

Last edited:
CONGRADULATIONS PETE!

I'm so happy for you and for everyone else on this thread who have successfully brought their new babies into the world! Although trying and at times extremely stressfull, it is a truly rewarding and fulfilling experience we all enjoy and I feel privilaged to have been able to share it with all of you. I'm especially happy to have met you Pete! You have given us all a wealth of very helpful information and your rates are the best out there!
lau.gif
I hope we can all keep in touch and share more hatching stories soon! I have 4 Sebastopol eggs due to hatch May 5th. If any of you have eggs due around then let me know!

Lisa

BTW- I FINALLY got Glenda's pic posted as my avatar!!!!

Hi Lisa

Thank you
wink.png

There's little Glenda at last we can see her and such a little cutie
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

I'll be starting another incubation and hatching thread soon so your all welcome to jump on board and relate your experiences and stories
smile.png

I've got Dewlaps due May 6th so I'll still be here
fl.gif

Pete
wink.png

Thanks for the photos Pete, you have beautiful kids. Just 1 thing tho. Locksley would love to see your Bassett hounds and he would like to know if they are as lazy as he is. He can tell from 1 photo that you put up that they have more rolls on their legs than hes got.
lol.png

june18th042.jpg

Hi Nicky

Thank you
smile.png

You can tell Locksley that they are very lazy and stubborn!!!

Just for him here's 2 of our girls that were born last year
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

80310_bass_pups.jpg

Locksley thinks they are very cute and says thank you. Yes I am lazy and stubborn too and mum has to smack my bum when I pee on the floor, but the only thing that gets hurt is mums hand and I just wag my tail while shes doing it.

Cute pics! I have a theory, the longer a thread is, the higher the probability that people will begin posting pictures of their basset hounds.
lau.gif

(Not that I'm complaining
love.gif
)

Thanks Pete,

And glad to put a face to your name.

I have 2 Sebastopol eggs in the Incubator that I'm hoping go to full term, they should be due somewhere around May 7th, I sat them on April 7th.

Little Gosling is now starting to refuse drinking the Power Aide and the preferance is for Water. Eyes are almost completely open and is still working at getting its legs under it, it rolled over on its back a couple of times yesterday and I righted it after it floundered around for a couple of minutes, today is doing much better at motivating around on the towel in the hatching tray. Planning to offer feed tonight to see how that goes.
The goslings that are a week older now almost look like little bruisers compared to this Gosling. I may try picking out one of the smaller ones of them to put with it just to get it started eating, I won't leave it with it unsupervised, just hoping it seeing another gosling close to its size will help it to see what it does with food.

Victoria

Back
Top Bottom