Dewlap Exhibition Toulouse-Incubation Diary with Pics! Hatch Day!!!

Quote:
I hate using this terminology... but "force feed" a small amount of warm, mashed food if you need to. This baby needs to gain her strength in order to recover.

On a brighter note... Balbinka (4 Days old) and I took a nice nap together,

222252_169548526433469_100001349671501_366738_8383378_n.jpg

Then she hung out in her favorite spot for a few minutes,

222252_169548529766802_100001349671501_366739_977561_n.jpg

Excuse my "recovering from an operation" look. No makeup or hairdo. At least Miss Binka doesn't mind!
My last egg also pipped today, hopefully it'll be a little boy so my friend can have it... he wants a Sebastopol gander pretty bad!

PS,

If I'm bugging you guys with too many photos, let me know. I really do take a lot of pictures of my animals... I always want to cherish the little baby moments!

**It can be dangerous to sleep with your goslings. There is a huge risk of you rolling over onto them- or them jumping off the bed.
I sleep with Balbinka because I had foot surgery and cannot move when I sleep without excruciating pain. She is also imprinted on me and I only bed down with her when she is TIRED to make sure she sleeps rather than explores.**

Last edited:
Hi All

Well Im happy to keep posting on this thread but the actual story's now completed after the sucessful hatch of the Dewlap goslings. To help with hatching and incubation I've started another thread which I hope will be just as popular. You're all welcome to jump on board
lol.png

Balbinka -pleased to hear you're recovering well and those goslings are so so so cute
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Victoria - very pleased to hear the little one's making progress and has gone onto plain water. Try tempting her with starter crumbs and finely chopped greens. If you find the gosling very unsteady then try to buy some silicone non-slip matting which allows an excellent foot purchase for gosling and can be removed and washed easily
wink.png

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
Hi Dave

Just to say a big THANK YOU for those words, its very kind of you to leave such positive comments and know my work has been worthwhile
smile.png

I knew when I started the thread that I was being a little over ambitous in hoping I would be able to complete the diary and with such a positive outcome. However I was determined to be fully honest with the results so others could see that even more experienced breeders can have setbacks. I think it was useful that thread started with the 6 Dewlap eggs being set but only 2 being fertile. With a 33% fertility rate it shows the problems in the Exhibition Dewlaps. We were delighted though that the 2 fertiles made it all the way through to complete the 'story' and keep the information relevant to all stages of incubation. I did get a bit of surprise when they were both breech though and thought the thread was going to end on a sadder note.

The youngsters are thriving and do appear to be a pair. The male looks good with a good head and body size. He's vital to our breeding programme as he's now introduced our Holderread line into the Buff programme. As their mother was a 2010 Buff she only laid 12 eggs in her first season. Of those 12 there was only 3 fertile and we lost 1 as an early death. However she's proven now and I hope next year we'll do better as I'll repeat this mating. The Holderread male has also fathered some goslings to our new 2010 grey female from Canadian lines so Ill be running them on also as the Gander's getting on in years now and I dont know how long he'll remain fertile. He's a wonderful bird with such fantastic type and size but also has a terrific temprament.

Here in the UK we're experiencing a very early heatwave with temps into the 70s (guess its going to be nice for the Royal wedding) though London has a smog warning as the pollution levels are so bad
hmm.png
Unfortunately its having an effect on the geese and I think they may go out of lay and into an early moult with these summer-like conditions. The plants and trees are weeks ahead of normal but its a glorious sight
cool.png
On another positive note the Rouens are laying now and we have some fertile eggs from that very good female whose mother won Best Rouen at our National Championship show last year so we're hoping for some nice stock to select from there
wink.png

The weather is having a positive effect on the Macaws now and they're all mating and I think eggs are imminent from quite a few of the pairs. Im hoping to get some chicks to run on from a young pair of Scarlets who have excellent size and colouration. Not all are that good as there appears to be 3 geographical forms which vary in size and brightness of colour, I'll be crossing all my fingers there but just caught them mating earlier this morning
smile.png

Hope you're ok too Dave and enjoying a geat breeding season. Here's a few pics to put you folks in the picture-so to speak. Excuse my indulgence on a goose thread
cool.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80310_scarlets1.jpg
Scarlet Macaws about to mate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80310_rouens1.jpg
The Rouens enjoying the spring weather.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80310_garden1.jpg
The Rouens in the spring garden

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80310_bluebells2.jpg
Yes its me!!! In our Oak wood with the children (hatched them 5yrs and 1 yr ago!!!

Now you can all put a face the name
wink.png

Pete
smile.png

Pete, what a Royal treat to see your Scarlets, they are so spectacular. They are in such pristine shape and for breeding birds as well. Gorgeous color. It is so lush and green there , I am jealous. Rouens are are beautiful to. Thanks for all the pictures. Love em.

Another big thank you to Pete for this informative thread!

I have unwittingly become the carer for 8 Egyptian goose eggs recently and was at a complete loss as to what I should be doing. This thread calmed my nerves and gave me an idea of what I can expect to see - day 3 at the moment - so here's holding fingers and thumbs.

Thanks again Pete. You're a star!

Yep I can see it now.  Im afraid the egg in the first picture appears infertile whilst the rest (being your duck eggs) are showing embryonic growth /img/smilies/celebrate.gif

Thats great news though I realise you'll be disappointed with the goose egg after learning so much.  Why dont you consider which breed you really like and buy some hatching goose eggs from a reliable source? I call it a little retail therapy /img/smilies/wink.png
Hi Pete. I'm not only new to hatching eggs but how to maneuver correctly on the forum. Please excuse my awkward posting. I really want Sebastopols. I purchased an r-com pro 20 incubator and my first five shipped eggs..they arrived in terrible condition and none made it. I read up about detached air cells etc. it said its best to incubate the eggs upright after no turning for 7 days. So I bought a brinsea octagon 20. Now to my question... I've had the sebastopol eggs upright, no turning for 7 days. Should I keep them upright and start the auto turn in the brinsea? Or place them on their side in the r-com with auto turn? I candled them and not really sure if any are good or not. One seems clear The others have "something" but not the distinct veining your photos show at 7 days. More like what yours show at 3-4 days? Any info is appreciated!! I really want some Sebastopols and hVe hD the hardest time getting them. Commercial hatchery goslings don't seem to be of very nice quality and the breeders either don't ship or such limited quantities I keep missing out! Thank you!!

Hi Pete. I'm not only new to hatching eggs but how to maneuver correctly on the forum. Please excuse my awkward posting. I really want Sebastopols. I purchased an r-com pro 20 incubator and my first five shipped eggs..they arrived in terrible condition and none made it. I read up about detached air cells etc. it said its best to incubate the eggs upright after no turning for 7 days. So I bought a brinsea octagon 20. Now to my question... I've had the sebastopol eggs upright, no turning for 7 days. Should I keep them upright and start the auto turn in the brinsea? Or place them on their side in the r-com with auto turn? I candled them and not really sure if any are good or not. One seems clear The others have "something" but not the distinct veining your photos show at 7 days. More like what yours show at 3-4 days? Any info is appreciated!! I really want some Sebastopols and hVe hD the hardest time getting them. Commercial hatchery goslings don't seem to be of very nice quality and the breeders either don't ship or such limited quantities I keep missing out! Thank you!!
Stablegrunt, Hi. I don´t know if you´ll find what you´re looking for on the goslings 2014 thread. a lot of people on there have learned from Pete, and now 3 years after this thread, there´s a lot of action going on on the other. You may find someone can help you there....Goslings hatch 2014...something like that.
towards the top of the page here, you´ll see "goose" with "go" next to it. Press "go" and there are a whole lot of threads there waiting to be read. have fun, and you´ll findhelp, too.

Back
Top Bottom