Dewormer?

A lot of 'chicken people' use agricultural products not intended for chickens as the market really lacks in that department. I happen to use goat wormer as I find the chicken wormer doesn't seem to work as well. You'll see it a lot and get really used to the idea and how to do it.

A lot of 'chicken people' use agricultural products not intended for chickens as the market really lacks in that department. I happen to use goat wormer as I find the chicken wormer doesn't seem to work as well. You'll see it a lot and get really used to the idea and how to do it.
In this case, the OP (original poster), used a horse paste that contains praziquantel to treat tapeworms.

Quick update, I got her some antibiotics because she started wheezing yesterday, but now she sounds like a slushy machine when breathing tonight. the other chickens are fine but shes the one that got beat up really bad by the other chickens. now every time i pick her up she poops all over the place clear poop, undigested poop and i don't think she will make it? I think they did more damage than i thought. I don't have a vet near me that takes chickens. I have called multiple ones. the only one that would take a chicken wants $300 up front just to see the chicken???? like i can afford that? these people here in california make me sick with their overly priced services. so I don't know if my chicken will survive. I'll keep this post updated....

edit: she just layed a broken egg. she has been inside and has not layed an egg in 11 days. but i figured she was not laying due to being inside. hope she will be ok. there is no blood but i hope thats why shes been limping. she is still limping even after laying the egg but hope that helps her not feel so bad.

Last edited:
I don't mean to worry you unnecessarily, but most of the symptoms you are describing could be associated with Marek's disease. Lameness, getting attacked by the flock, suffering from worms and respiratory problems. How old is she? The broken egg could be as a result of Infectious Bronchitis which can cause poor egg shell quality. Marek's suppresses the immune system and leaves birds vulnerable to secondary infections like IB and infestations of internal and external parasites as well as the primary symptoms like lameness. It is a very common and widespread disease.

she is 9 months old. It's not Marek's she didn't have any issues till the other chickens beat her up. If I had not stopped them she would be dead. they was attacking her because she had worms. by her vent all the feathers are gone. the other chickens had the worms too. but she was the one they always treated bad since i got them 9 months ago. shes never been sick till now. Its after i gave her the dewormer that her lungs started sounding bad. shes not been lame at all. even with her hurt foot shes trying to be a normal chicken and hop out of her cage, walks in circles and is very mobile but shes limping like her leg is hurt. I wish i had a video camera so you can see what i mean. I have seem Marek's In my friends chicken years ago. This is just a badly injured chicken.

Back
Top Bottom