Deworming chickens

Yes. Valbazen is best used as a first time wormer as it slowly kills worms over several days preventing blockages if there's an infestation of large roundworms. It also kills all known types of worms a chicken can get.

Glad to help.
smile.png

I'm bumping this back up because I have a question regarding the dose for safeguard. I have the liquid dewormer for goats, fenbendazole 10%. 100mg/mL

Now, in this thread I've read 1/2 cc, 3/4cc for three days depending on the birds size. Yet the bottle says(yes I know its for goats) 2.3mg/lb which is achieved when 2.3 ml of the product is given per 100lbs! They then list examples given for weights. Example 25 lbs (I don't think chickens achieve that weight) is given .6 ml. It doesn't say anything about worming three days in a row or repeat in 10 days. It does say conditions may require a second treatment in 4 to 6 wks. It also only list two types of stomach worms that it treats.
So, my question is are we overdoing the dosing or are the instructions on the bottle specifically for stomach worms and roundworms require a larger, more frequent amount?

Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) is used off-label in chickens. Most older posts said to give 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10days which would get the round worms and probably cecal worms. But if there could be the more complicated worms such as gapeworm or capillary worms, then a larger dose given for 3 days (for gapeworm) and 5 days (for capillary worms.) In many posts by Casportpony, she instructed most people to give it the maximum amount 23mg per lb for 5 days in a row since most don't know what worms their chickens have. I usually just round that off to 1/4 ml per pound, and give for 3-5 days.

It helps to not read posts that are too old about worms, since drugs and dosages have been updated. Sticking with threads that have been posted in the last 2 years are usually better.

Last edited:
Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) is used off-label in chickens. Most older posts said to give 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10days which would get the round worms and probably cecal worms. But if there could be the more complicated worms such as gapeworm or capillary worms, then a larger dose given for 3 days (for gapeworm) and 5 days (for capillary worms.) In many posts by Casportpony, she instructed most people to give it the maximum amount 23mg per lb for 5 days in a row since most don't know what worms their chickens have. I usually just round that off to 1/4 ml per pound, and give for 3-5 days.

It helps to not read posts that are too old about worms, since drugs and dosages have been updated. Sticking with threads that have been posted in the last 2 years are usually better.

Thanks Eggcessive. I was just worming for roundworms and the birds are not full grown so I gave about .3 ml. Hope that will do it. I was just wondering why the amount is so much less for a heavier animal (goat) or if it had anything to do with the type of worm you were treating for.

I'm not a vet, but I know that what other drugs such as amoxicillin, chickens get almost the same dosage as a human being. These dosages are usually available from veterinary drug books. Dawg53 knows a lot more than I do about worming, but he hasn't been online in awhile. His later posts about worming are very reliable. When this sight started about 8 years ago worming was very different, but due to ivermectin and some drugs becoming ineffective due to resistance from the worms, the later posts are better to read.

Back
Top Bottom