Deworming chickens

Vinegar will not deworm your chickens. If you want to treat for all chicken worms, Valbazen would be good, SafeGuard Goat wormer or horse paste will treat all but tapeworms. Wazine will only get roundworms. It depends on the conditions where you live for how often you worm. Twice a year is the average to worm, but people living in hot humid areas may need to do it more often.
I'm just curious, but how much Valbazen would i have to use for my birds since we've just started deworming them.

I'm just curious, but how much Valbazen would i have to use for my birds since we've just started deworming them.

Welcome to BYC. Valbazen is pretty safe. You can use 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for regular hens, and 3/4 ml for large hens and roosters given orally undiluted, and repeat that is 10 days.

The people at the feed store where I purchased my chicks told me to use apple cider vinegar in their drinking water.... 2 capfuls to 1 gallon as a natural wormer and preventative.

Very helpful!! Thank you!

Please don't get your hopes up. ACV will not treat nor will it prevent worms.

Reading up on worming and I can't help but think...can your chickens get worms if they aren't free ranging? Stupid question?

Not a stupid question! The short answer is yes they could still get worms. They are less likely, depending on the conditions they are kept in and how they are housed, but the chance is not zero. Some worms are carried by flying or other insects and earthworms and slugs, so they could still eat an infected source and become infected. Bringing in a new bird that was infected would spread worm eggs in those droppings, which could then be ingested by other birds pecking on the ground. Wild bird droppings can also carry worm eggs. Some environments have a heavy parasite load, and some do not. Here is a good article on worms and worming: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html

w
Vinegar will not deworm your chickens. If you want to treat for all chicken worms, Valbazen would be good, SafeGuard Goat wormer or horse paste will treat all but tapeworms. Wazine will only get roundworms. It depends on the conditions where you live for how often you worm. Twice a year is the average to worm, but people living in hot humid areas may need to do it more often.
what is the dosage for bantam chickens (safegaurd)?

roundworm, i remember you saying wazine in water. i kinda want a simple one shoot resolution if there is one.

Back
Top Bottom