DH=Headache

Finally went to bed pretty late.

He got up before me this morning and was going through all the info books the inspector left.
We have both calmed down. He understands it better now.
He was mad because all the new regulations ran up the cost from $900 to $1500.
I can understand that, but I'm not the one to have passed them.

So far we have only needed 2 permits on the house. The sewer and the electrical.

that was my biggest concern. Get the house finished without the permit, get reported, get fined and have to tear all the sheet rock down.

Its never easy when a couple starts a reno job....ask me I should know...I am the same way I tell Dh you need a permit for that, or the inspector has to approve that first. he gets ticked off. and what is worse is when the budget goes up. Guys don't really tell you what goes through their mind all the time. but with my DH I knew he wanted to save money and allocate it else where but still. when my Dh gets too grumpy I tell him, go have a break have a smoke and come back when you can talk to me nicely, or if I am really fuming I walk away and tell him fine have it your way, when the house goes up in flames (or what ever thing may go wrong) you better hope nothing happens to our children or animals and then don't blame me for knocking you upside the head. usually within 15 minutes he sees it my way :-D I love my DH but man can he ever get bullheaded.

one thing I know I will never EVER help him with ever again is building another coop or animal pen....cause in that area I won't get what I want anyhow :-(

A friend of mine is a retired LEO.. When he was building his house, he was still on the force.. The building inspector came out to his place and gave him grief because he didn't like the way the front yard drained.. It didn't drain toward the house, of course, but the guy wanted all the drainage to run out to the ditch by the road.. Problem was, the road was uphill of the house...like, by several feet, albeit over a fairly long run. What the owner had done was put a very shallow swale in the middle of the front yard, way out from the house, that would drain heavy rain away from the house and toward a neighbor's pond. There was no problem, per se...the inspector just didn't like it. So, he insisted that the drainage needed to be changed to make it drain into the ditch by the road.

My buddy informed the guy that he couldn't make water run uphill, so the only way to get water to drain up there would be to raise the house and add several feet to the front yard...and that he *definitely was NOT* going to do that. So the guy said "Well, then you're not getting a C/O." So my buddy said "Well, then get the h*ll off my property." The inspector didn't like that and insisted that he wasn't leaving and that there was nothing my buddy could do about it.

My buddy reminded the guy that he'd been asked to leave private property and had refused, which meant he was officially trespassing, and that if he didn't leave RIGHT THEN, he'd take him for a ride downtown, book him, and let him explain himself to a judge. He told me that he pointed to his cruiser in the driveway and said "And I won't even have to call anybody!" The inspector got lippy again so my buddy started toward him with every intention of putting him in the cruiser -- and trust me when I tell you that he WOULD have done it..
lol.png
The guy high-tailed it to his car and my buddy moved into his house THAT DAY -- without a C/O.

I asked if he ever got his C/O, and he said it magically appeared in the mail some weeks later, though he'd never again heard from the inspector guy.
lau.gif
gig.gif

Jes sayin'...I don't know of anybody who's ever built a place and hasn't had trouble with inspectors, codes, etc. Even if you get it right, just knowing you're going to be "inspected" and will have little recourse but to do as you're told -- regardless of what it will cost or whether you agree with it -- can be very, very stressful. When it's all over with, I'm sure that $600 overage will be small potatoes and he'll appreciate that you were just trying to keep everything on the up and up for insurance purposes, to get the C/O, etc..

smile.png

Quote:
I believe what would have been needed was a french drain (based upon your descriptions). Here, water cannot drain off your land; your property must be able to hold all rainfall.

Quote:
Agree.

So for your own peace try this:

When he says something mean, just pretend that he said something nice. Nothing else changes, you just won't feel badly...

I opened this thinking you all were talking about MY DH...who has also been a wee bit of a headache lately...what a disappointment
sad.png
lol.png
Hit him upside the head with a bottle of aspirin OP...that usually works for me.
wink.png

Quote:
What you basically just said is "Through proper grading, we can eliminate the need for streams and rivers."
ep.gif

What I didn't convey was that his house sits at the edge of a hillside and is connected to a several hundred acre farm.. It has a walkout basement in back, but the front's level with grade, meaning his backyard is fairly steep. He created the swale in the front yard to divert water away from the front of the house and send it off to one side where it can run on down the hill toward the creek that ultimately feeds a neighbor's pond.. That's where that water would have ultimately gone anyway, so he didn't really add to anybody's burden or anything like that.

The inspector guy was just being jerky. They're known for that sorta thing around here (and everywhere else, so far as I can tell).

Back
Top Bottom