Diabetics - Anyone on Victoza?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by TammyTX, May 6, 2011.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I've been on it for over a year. Before that I was on Byetta.

At first it was great. It cut my hunger to NOTHING, for months, and as a result my sugar levels were great.

After the first four months I noticed I was getting hungry again. After a year+ my sugar levels are not regulated and I put all the weight I had lost, back on.

I have an Endo appt on the 18th and if anyone else knows something good to try, please tell me!!

2. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Not on Victoza, but I am on 3 other meds for Type 2.
    I can agree how frusterating the disease it though !! I am so tired of taking pills, and doing this and doing
    that and nothing working, then it works for awhile, then plummets again [​IMG]

3. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I tried Actos along with the Victoza and it caused a molar to absess! I also use Glumetza 1000mg twice a day.

The shots sound scary, but they aren't...once a day in the belly and it doesn't really hurt.

It is a frustrating problem. About the only time I have great control is if I'm low carbing it.

4. gertiie

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I packed on 50 extra pounds before they figured out what was wrong with me.
    I started out on Metformin. Then added Janumet . Then they added Glimiperide. Then it was too much Glimeride, I was extremely enemic , and starting to show signs if some kidney damage ! Gee thanks DOc !
    so they took away some Metformin, and added Actos a month ago . Expensive crap ! How did you figure it out that it causes a molar abcess ??
    My SIL started some injection also, she lost 13 pounds on it.
    I am finally starting to take care of myself, now that the kids have moved out , I have no excuse anymore. I am low carbing it, and took myself off of the Glimiperide
    so I wouldnt be crashing every 4 hours .
    I will find out in a couple of weeks, when it is time to check my A1C again.

5. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I have had problems with jaw/tooth pain with some other diabetic meds, like Metformin. Which is crazy because Glumetza is metformin. The doctor thinks it's something in the binder used in the pill.

I started the Actos and within about three days I was in terrible pain and on the fourth day I couldn't eat anything except for pudding.
    The dentist told me she thought there was a crack in the tooth, and there may have been, but it didn't bother me until I started the Actos. I had read online that tooth problems can be a side effect.

6. gertiie

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    How long have you been diagnosed ?

7. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Eight years. My Endo appt is on Wednesday.

Sorry it took so long to write back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by