Diagnose Me!

Colinus Ruckus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Western NC
My month-old coturnix are getting bald spots on their backs, between their wings. About a third, or maybe half, seem to have this problem. Some are also losing feathers from the backs of their heads. What's going on? Mites? Pictures below.

82166_img_0670.jpg

82166_img_0677.jpg

Sounds like you have one (or more) bully quail that are mounting anything that moves.... try figuring out which one it is, and seperating and/or culling it. Hope this helps!
big_smile.png

Quote:
If the culprit were human, he would be classified as a stalker and/or serial rapist.
wink.png

It reminds me of my cochin bantam roosters...those guys need like 20 women to fulfill all their little fantasies...I see some on ducks at times!

GAWD. Really? Already? I have another round of birds that are 8 weeks old and they aren't tearing each other up at all. I have the two groups separated by age, but as for roo-hen ratio, it's gotta be close to 50/50 since I haven't sorted them out. I was planning to keep them all together until 10 weeks and then butcher the roos and keep the hens for eggs.

I sat out and watched them for a long while this evening and didn't see any rowdiness. They're making some noise but no rough stuff that I saw.

Back
Top Bottom