Diarrhea 14 days, no other symptoms want to add 18 - 6 week old chicks into coop? scared

Junkunicorn

Hatching
Apr 7, 2022
I want to put 18 babies in 1/2 the coop protected of big girls but 1 big girl (2 yr old Rhode Island Red (RIR) Female) has diarrhea 14 days now unsure why no symptoms!!! I’m scared to comingle chicks with hens if sick! Ideas? Help Tyia. 4 weeks ago my 2 yr old Buff Orph got sick buffed up and died found out she had diarrhea but I was out of town. Now I clean coop sprayed down with vinegar & bleach. Started feeding 3 hens 2 yrs old (dewormer) see photo. for 14 days. Gave plain yogurt for 3 days with probiotics. Put ACV in water for a few days. They eat laying egg pellets, free range in closed area with oyster shells (added this week) None have symptoms. I don't know if laying. I have 3 hens and get 2 eggs/day. The RIR has some missing feathers on neck. They all are perky, moving, eating, Just scared to add the 6 week old babies if sick. Please advise. TYIA
chicken Diarrhea.jpg
dewormer.PNG
I’m out of ideas help tyia

I'd say keep giving them medicine and after they all haven't had diarrhea for another week or two, then add the chicks also you should give the chicks meds that are okay for them at their age. That way they have extra strength and antibiotics as well. I don't know what else to do and I'd as some other people for help like maybe @TwoCrows or @gimmie birdies

So diarrhea is the only symptom? Is she eating and drinking normally, doing other chicken things? Is it really hot where you live?

The vinegar and bleach can hurt them, don't use that again.
Have you tried a real dewormer? That block won't work.
Is it hot? Do they get treats?

So diarrhea is the only symptom? Is she eating and drinking normally, doing other chicken things? Is it really hot where you live?
Thank you. It has NOT been hot for 6-8 weeks June Gloom in the 60's F. its just starting to get in the 80sF. She is eating normal. I do notice she has missing neck feathers. Like pulled out? a patch of them??? Today I noticed the other RIR chicken poop a fibrous stringy Poop But I wonder if from the natural dewormer because I see red pepper flakes in poop tomorrow will be 14 days and I will stop that but the one still has diarrhea shown in her sleeping hut spot. ???? Tyia

Thank you. It has NOT been hot for 6-8 weeks June Gloom in the 60's F. its just starting to get in the 80sF. She is eating normal. I do notice she has missing neck feathers. Like pulled out? a patch of them??? Today I noticed the other RIR chicken poop a fibrous stringy Poop But I wonder if from the natural dewormer because I see red pepper flakes in poop tomorrow will be 14 days and I will stop that but the one still has diarrhea shown in her sleeping hut spot. ???? Tyia
Are you feeding any treats that might cause diarrhea....too much carbs, lots of greens?

That “natural” product you have probably will not treat any possible worms. Do you chickens go outside and free range on grass daily? Do any chickens have any problems with crops emptying by morning? Do any seem to be drinking an excessive amount of water? If you can call around to vets in your area, you could possibly have one do a fecal float on the droppings to look for worms and coccidiosis. If it is time for a pet to get shots at the vet, take in a ziplock bag of fresh droppings and beg them to do a fecal float.

If I treat chickens for worms, I use a proven safe wormer, couch as Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeated in 10 days. SafGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine paste is also good, and dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 consecutive days.

When adding new chickens, add completely new pine shavings or sand, and keep it stirred daily, and as dry as possible. Add fresh bedding often and as needed. I also like to place a piece of fresh sod in the coop with young chicks to give them a gradual introduction to soil, which contains coccidia. Change it every few days. I have never treated coccidiosis in my chicks.

Back
Top Bottom