Diarrhea?(Poop pics)

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
Hi folks, lately my flock’s droppings have been a bit runny, but I’m not sure what could be causing this. I doubt it’s coccidoisis, because they’ve been treated with corrid. Could lice cause this? We’ve been dealing with them, but are treating with permethrin. Also, a few hens have dirty butts, but I assume that’s because of the lice and runny droppings. Here’s some pictures:
B07E2003-E651-4655-8171-FF0F4CD12582.jpeg 560C8AB7-8DF8-46F7-96EF-61211531EEB7.jpeg 06A3BC7E-5C10-4EA7-BEC8-BD5DD9EF9D1C.jpeg 2BDE64CF-D304-41F9-90CE-E6A4045CA970.jpeg B9E8AED3-9B5F-4D26-BBCD-7BA85F8C77A3.jpeg
Any help is appreciated!!

i am having a poopy butt problem with second leghorn - the first one doesn't stand up straight - i cleaned her off a few days ago and she's still clean, but her buddy i just noticed looks awful, with poop all over the rear end - HELP!

Could they have external parasites? I know lice can cause dirty rear ends. Do their droppings look normal? Also, I find that trimming the feathers around the vent/rear end helps.

when I bathed the one leghorn 2 or 3 days ago, no parasites, just diarrhea and dried clumps of poop - I removed some feathers b'cz I couldn't get them all off even when dunking her in the warm water. What about the lowered walking? Anybody have any input on that? And now the second one as of this morning is all poopy as well, also a leghorn as I stated - thnx

Could they have external parasites? I know lice can cause dirty rear ends. Do their droppings look normal? Also, I find that trimming the feathers around the vent/rear end helps.
Well, you know they have lice....but lice do not cause loose poops and dirty rear end, but clusters of lice eggs can gather at the base of feather shafts. Poops don't look too bad. Yes, trimming butt feathers can help keep loose poops from sticking and building up.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
How old are the birds?

Anybody have any input on that?
Should really start a new thread instead of hijacking. ;)

With runny poops, I look at things like: have they been drinking a lot of water because it is getting warm, could worms be a problem, or have I been adding water to chicken feed as I sometimes do with powdery leftover feed. Get the vents cleaned off with a soapy water shallow butt bath, trim any excessive feathers and remove lice eggs. Lice are treated at least twice with Permethrin dust or spray, until lice eggs are gone. Poop tends to cling to lice eggs and feathers.

It is hard to rule out coccidiosis or worms without getting a fecal test by a vet on some droppings. But since that is not always possible, it may be easier to go ahead and worm them with Valbazen or Safeguard. You can also try some probiotics a couple of days a week, or a little cottage cheese, or cooked rice with some buttermilk for a few days.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
How old are the birds?
The ages of the flock range from 9 months to 3yrs(about), and I’ve been feeding Green Mountain organic layer feed, with the occasional bit of kitchen scraps(fruit/veggies) and crushed eggshell.
Feed is available to them 24/7.Thanks for your help!
369042DB-B12E-4B8B-B4C9-FBACCD67213B.jpeg

Well, you know they have lice....but lice do not cause loose poops and dirty rear end, but clusters of lice eggs can gather at the base of feathers
Oops, sorry, I should have been more clear about that :D I was addressing NapaChicknGal, guess next time I should quote the post:D

With runny poops, I look at things like: have they been drinking a lot of water because it is getting warm, could worms be a problem, or have I been adding water to chicken feed as I sometimes do with powdery leftover feed. Get the vents cleaned off with a soapy water shallow butt bath, trim any excessive feathers and remove lice eggs. Lice are treated at least twice with Permethrin dust or spray, until lice eggs are gone. Poop tends to cling to lice eggs and feathers.

It is hard to rule out coccidiosis or worms without getting a fecal test by a vet on some droppings. But since that is not always possible, it may be easier to go ahead and worm them with Valbazen or Safeguard. You can also try some probiotics a couple of days a week, or a little cottage cheese, or cooked rice with some buttermilk for a few days.
I haven’t noticed excessive drinking, but I’m not sure. I do occasionally add water to the powder from the bottom of the bag. Should I try the probiotics or buttermilk/cottage cheese before I decide on worming them? I doubt getting a fecal test at the vet is an option. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom