Please help! Orange poop and possible vent gleet 6-week-old pullet

Here's one. That pecking order thing seems to be reciprocal to some extent. Following the trauma you were so helpful with, I decided everyone was morose and lonely following those two birds' demise and we purchased two young 'uns. Integrating was an eye opener, with the #2 being the bigger bully, as described by many to be expected. What I didn't expect is that after everyone has settled in, the youngers let the #2 older still "peck" at them to show place, but they're not spooked or intimidated particularly anymore. They just sort of let her do it; it's like they're humoring her. Everyone knows their order, they're all down with it, but #2 just has to keep re-stating it. It's quite amusing. The youngers are indulging the olders' crotchetiness.
They are quite entertaining aren't they!

Hard to say who's more entertained by whom. I'll do things like get mad at #2 for pecking at someone and then they all of them get mad at me for the temerity, presumably. They definitely are not interested in human opinions about fairness and niceness but at least I provide them with entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom