Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone I seem to have a dalema, Ok so my 3 chicks out of 5 hatched. They were panting in the incubator. They had been in there a day...we rigged up a baby spoon so they could drink water...which worked well. Anyways so my humidity went into the high 70's and 2 eggs have not hatched yet (they are due today) I figured since the humidity was so high we could put a towel over the incubator reach in grab the 3 chicks move em to the brooder with out harming the other 2. Humidity didn't drop much. The 3 new chicks however had done their first poops in the incubator and we couldn't clean it up. What do I do? Will this get the new ones sick?

They'll probably be fine :) i think you should just leave the other two eggs in the bator for now so that the temo and humidity stays fine :) congrats on the first 3! Can't wait to see the next two!!!

Quote:
I hear ya...night before last i dreemed i turned over in bed and noticed I had a beak.
idunno.gif
OMG I need a depends!!

Hey everyone I seem to have a dalema, Ok so my 3 chicks out of 5 hatched. They were panting in the incubator. They had been in there a day...we rigged up a baby spoon so they could drink water...which worked well. Anyways so my humidity went into the high 70's and 2 eggs have not hatched yet (they are due today) I figured since the humidity was so high we could put a towel over the incubator reach in grab the 3 chicks move em to the brooder with out harming the other 2. Humidity didn't drop much. The 3 new chicks however had done their first poops in the incubator and we couldn't clean it up. What do I do? Will this get the new ones sick?
Your fine momma!! if you want quickly add a papertowel over the poo!

My 3 silkies, 2 hens and a rooster are now 9 months old and have lived together for all 9 months. One hen (Creamcicle) hatched an egg about 2 weeks ago and the other hens (snow white) had an egg hatch but did not make it. Now Creamcicle is being very aggressive toward Snow White, pecking her in the head everytime Snow White moves, she is very scared, hides behind me when I am in the coop and is shaking. What should I do? Should I remove Creamcicle and the chick?
If she isnt actually hurting her, I would let them and just watch them for now. Removing could be a mistake unless they are drawing blood or seriously ripping feathers. Pecking order Pecking order "hen pecked!"

Last edited:
My 3 silkies, 2 hens and a rooster are now 9 months old and have lived together for all 9 months. One hen (Creamcicle) hatched an egg about 2 weeks ago and the other hens (snow white) had an egg hatch but did not make it. Now Creamcicle is being very aggressive toward Snow White, pecking her in the head everytime Snow White moves, she is very scared, hides behind me when I am in the coop and is shaking. What should I do? Should I remove Creamcicle and the chick?
I would for awhile, until the chick is old enough to defend herself. That is just me though. Sometimes they resolve issues on their own so ...go with your gutt

Your fine momma!! if you want quickly add a papertowel over the poo!
Ok, the poo is on the way bottom anyways, I didn't know if it could breed bacteria ...we are patiently waiting for the other 2. My bedroom is looking like a hatchery LOL I have the incubator, then the new baby brooder with yes a feather bed basket HA, and then the "toddler" brooder with my month old chicks...soon these ones will graduate to the cage in the kitchen hubby made until they are ready for the coop outside.

Chickens everywhere! And we got 3 more under a broody hen outside!

ok, thanks!

last time the screen was weighed down and i filled the reservoir so high that the paper carton got wet.

i'm going to have to fill shallower i guess.

what is so different an egg turner versus tilting? i tilted for several days and then began to use the turner. i sure doesn't seem like my turner turns more than 45 degrees.

sorry if you've answered these questions a million times.

over a third of these eggs are so dark i can't even candle them. eeek well, i guess i'll treat them all the same--hatching upright!

- renee
NO must be cut like the pic above, the one where I show how to tilt instead of turn.... Ventilation is KEY to viability! Styro egg carton.... Eggs CANNOT get WET in an incubator, thats not good at all....Getting an egg wet will remove the eggs protective coating and exposes it to entry of disease organisms and can easily cause the embryo to die or the newly hatched chick to die.

ok, thanks!

last time the screen was weighed down and i filled the reservoir so high that the paper carton got wet.

i'm going to have to fill shallower i guess.

what is so different an egg turner versus tilting? i tilted for several days and then began to use the turner. i sure doesn't seem like my turner turns more than 45 degrees.

sorry if you've answered these questions a million times.

over a third of these eggs are so dark i can't even candle them. eeek well, i guess i'll treat them all the same--hatching upright!

- renee
Quote: Not sure I dont have a turner in any of mine, I prefer to hand turn or use carton and put something under one end and then rotate to other end at turn... remember surface area will raise humidity more than depth so thats important to remember when trying to boost humidity. copper pennies before 1982 I think will keep your water wells from getting bacteria growths too....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom