Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: We may have found how to keep a rooster from crowing
lau.gif

Sally, seriously great article about assisted hatching! Was scanning it really fast as my internet started to get spotty (storms/serious clouds throws the internet airwaves out of whack) so your pic weren't loading up but the texts were. It was clear and concise! I've got 3 that pipped internally - first one I had figured out because I kept hearing faint chirping but thought it was outside birds. The other 2 were candled and saw the beaks in the air cells and very very faint chirps. So all 3 are wrapped in a wet nap in the incubator and throwing out very loud chirps here or there. Hopefully they'll be totally out of the shells in the AMs. Can't wait to see them!! Here's
fl.gif
for the other 4.
fl.gif

3D- so just out of curiosity, how do you know you're in Bella's esophagus or her trachea? (Am assuming same terminology for people and chicks here.....)
There is two tubes- one in the middle, and one all around it. Picture two circles, one smaller one in the middle of the other. You must push the tube to the side so it does not go into the middle one, which is the breathing tube.

My DREAM chickens....... and yes, finally I own them!

Silver appenzeller spitzhauben
love.gif

thumbsup.gif
D.gif

bacitrim thats what my ointment is because our neo has pain relief... I will go see what is in the article

So, I got Bella home this Friday, and it has been quite time consuming to take care of her so far. Luckily, I enjoy baby chicks. :D I have to force feed her through a tube thing every four hours until she learns to eat on her own (which is quite scary, because you can so easily miss the right tube.) and give her three kinds of meds two times a day (which she just drinks, so it is not so difficult). I have her in with the other chicks and they are teaching her how to eat, and I have caught her nibbling at the ground a few times, but definitely not enough to fill her. I have to weigh her every morning, and compared to the other chicks, she is only a third their weight. The chicks are quite mean to her also, but her strength is growing a bit- especially after we feed her. She is definitely going to be a people chicken. She likes it when I stick my hand through the bars of the brooder and she gets sad when I take them away. She peeps very loudly when I am gone, and the other chicks peck at her to be quiet. XD She is actually quite fluffy now, but still looks scraggly since she is so under weight.
Almost right after I posted this, Bella passed away. I really feel bad about this, because I believe she choked to death in her water while I was on the computer.

Creams Ointments Tinctures and stuff.

Topical medications and over-the-counter products can be formulated in different ways. You have probably seen the words cream, lotion and ointment, and never gave a thought as to what might be the difference among them. These terms are actually defined differently and can make a difference when you apply the medication. I encourage you all to do your own research and make your own informed decisions when treating not only your chickens, but yourself.

Creams are a semi-solid emulsion, half oil and half water. This formulation is typically the easiest to use. They spread easily, absorb quickly and wash off with water.

Ointments are 80% oil and 20% water. These products feel greasy, do not absorb well and are generally not easy to use on large areas. They are ‘occlusive,’ which means they trap moisture and heat in very well. Ointments promote medication absorption over all other formulations. If an ingredient is in an ointment, it is always more potent than the exact same ingredient packaged in a cream or lotion.

Gels are emulsions that contain oil-in-water. They usually have an alcohol base. They dry into a thin, greaseless, nonstaining film. Like lotions and foams, they are ideal for spreading on hairy areas and large areas.

A tincture is a skin preparation that has a high percentage of alcohol. It would normally be used as a drug vehicle if drying of the area is desired.

Neosporin (or triple antibiotic ointments) are indicated for topical use. Topical means external. The membranes on inside of an egg are not external while they are still receiving blood supply from the chick. These membranes, as we know, have veins that you can see but also millions of tiny vessels that you cans see – they were the organ that was used by the chick for 21 days to get oxygen to their body. Now as the vessels spasm down and shut off, the dangers of Neomycin toxicity diminish. When it comes to slathering Neosporin onto vascular membranes of an egg, use caution. The smallest amount necessary should be used. Absorbing a large amount of this medication into the body can increase the risk of damage to the ears or kidneys due to neomycin.

Betadine antiseptic solution contains 10% povidone-iodine and is the foremost documented, broad spectrum topical iodophor microbide. It is used in hospitals to clean wounds but not really as a dressing or sustaining anti microbial treatment. If the intent is to keep the skin wound moist, we use an ointment like Neosporin. If the intent is to aid in drying a wound, we more often use a tincture.

Drying creates a scab faster. The scab is a cap under which the wound heals. This dried surface is way less prone to an infection than a moist ointment filled environment – even if the ointment is antimicrobial. For belly buttons or umbilicus, tincture of iodine is normally used.
DONE and I also added a link back to this information. You ROCK oz!

You never did answer my questions about 100 posts ago about navels! LOL
I will go find it and quote it, I really would like to fix the navel section up with your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom