Diatomaceous earth for chickens

you just need 1 cup for 50lbs!
That's about what I use when I get grain mites in the summer.
It's good for getting rid of grain mites... but not much else, despite what many people tout.

Seen a video Becky’s homestead where she explains how to use it to prevent worm infestation.
More misinformation from Becky.

It doesn't do much for worms, it's ineffective when wet and it's not good for tgeir lungs or yours.
I think it can help in a way. Probably not as a medicine but... If a chicken eats feeds with DE she leaves poops with DE in the run. The soil/ dirt where she left her poo is no longer a source for new infestations. That would explain its helps for prevention.

Its true DE is a bad for the lungs. Always be careful to use it when its pure. In a sand-bath it binds to the grains of sand and is not a danger anymore according to my supplier.

I think it can help in a way. Probably not as a medicine but... If a chicken eats feeds with DE she leaves poops with DE in the run. The soil/ dirt where she left her poo is no longer a source for new infestations. That would explain its helps for prevention.

Its true DE is a bad for the lungs. Always be careful to use it when its pure. In a sand-bath it binds to the grains of sand and is not a danger anymore according to my supplier.
I don't think so. Moisture from the gut makes it ineffective.

You all convinced me in relation to worm infestations.

But I say yes to DE to prevent bird mite infestations. And to adjust light bird mite infestations. I am certain that this is effective if administered in the right way.

Because wet DE dries up and is effective again.

You all convinced me in relation to worm infestations.

But I say yes to DE to prevent bird mite infestations. And to adjust light bird mite infestations. I am certain that this is effective if administered in the right way.

Because wet DE dries up and is effective again.
DE isn't good for your chickens to breathe and is dusty. It can cause lung damage to humans and animals alike.

I have read to many stories about terrible mite infestations,
and the keeper said "but I used DE".
A lot of people have infestations of bird mite here in europe. I had a feeling it was just a matter of time before the bird mites would attack my chickens. And they did after having chickens for 1 year.

4.5 years ago I had bird mites in the coop for the first time. They laid eggs under the bark of a branch. Because I checked weekly I was in time to prevent a major problem.
I threw away the branch, cleaned the coop and painted the inside of the coop with DE mixed with water. The roosts get a double layer of ‘paint’.

Now I ‘paint’ the coop every spring with DE. And I put a few spoons DE in the dust bath when I fill it up with sand again.

I check regularly, like once a week, with paper rolls for mites (except winter). And if I see something that looks like lice or mites I clean the bedding and immediately and apply a layer of DE mixed with water. I smear it on the roosts and in all the cracks and surfaces where the mites might walk or hide. And I put more DE in their sand bath and under the shavings and hay in the nestbox.

So far this works great.
Applied like this it is not harmfull and dusty.

Back
Top Bottom