Diatomaceous earth for chickens

Extrasalt

Hatching
Feb 19, 2020
Hello, I recently decided to buy some DE food grade for my flock of 3 hens and put a cup of it into 5 lbs of their feed. This is about a third of a pound of DE or 7% of the feed. But I recently stumbled upon a couple articles saying you just need 1 cup for 50lbs! So my question is, is it ok if I feed them this amount for now as I don’t want to throw away the feed. Or should I mix it with the 50 lbs of feed. The problem with the last one is that they would constantly be eating DE when I planned for them to just eat feed with DE once in a couple months. What should I do here?

I’ve just heard from many farmers online and on websites that feeding hens DE every once in a while helps prevent worms or kills them

I'm never heard of feeding it to the flock. I however leave some out for my hens to take dust baths in. It helps if you live in an area like I do that has mites (I live in a clear cut of timber land).

So what I’m getting is that DE is not that necessary to feed, however is it harmful to feed it to them?
No. Not at all... they might not like the feed with that much in it. But it won’t hurt them. I’ve put DE in the food bin to keep ants away. I put it in their dust bath (last layer) for the mite issue. There has been times that I fluff it up into their wings n butt area.

I know there a people who recommend it for chickens (and horses). Seen a video Becky’s homestead where she explains how to use it to prevent worm infestation.

I give it to my flock for one week 2x every summer in their feed. Never had worm problems. Maybe it helps?

Also put it in their dust bath and I use it as a paint in the roosting area and underneath the nest boxes. This helps against bird mite, I am sure of that.

Cant help you with the amount cause I am almost stepping out of the bus and we use kilograms here.

Back
Top Bottom