Diatomaceous earth Melbourne?

Nikki71

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
I want to use some of this in my chicken dust bath to deter mites. Does anyone know where I can buy it in Melbourne please? Interstate postage is pretty hefty. Bunnings don’t stock it unfortunately.

DE is not gonna get rid of mites. DE uses its sharp edges to kill, and mites can avoid the edges, unlike other pests. To get rid of mites, you need Permethrin 10, diluted, and spray it on the birds and the coop very well. Other more experienced members can help you out too!

I’ve actually gotten rid of the mites thank goodness. It took three weeks, Coopex, Poultry Shield, Pestene powder, bottles of Avitrol and more elbow grease than I thought possible.
But I’ve now built the chooks a dust bath in the hope of good maintenance. I ordered sand and dirt (which they are, so far, unimpressed with) but I thought adding some DE might help.

I’ve actually gotten rid of the mites thank goodness. It took three weeks, Coopex, Poultry Shield, Pestene powder, bottles of Avitrol and more elbow grease than I thought possible.
But I’ve now built the chooks a dust bath in the hope of good maintenance. I ordered sand and dirt (which they are, so far, unimpressed with) but I thought adding some DE might help.
Ohh, good! Well, DE isn't nessasary then! It won't help much, it can actually be really bag for there, and your lungs if a lot is breathed in. I got my hens a DE infused dust bath powder, and they actually didn't use it. They only used it when it was dirt and stuff. I feel like there are some kinds of herbs you can use to deter them though...

I want to use some of this in my chicken dust bath to deter mites. Does anyone know where I can buy it in Melbourne please? Interstate postage is pretty hefty. Bunnings don’t stock it unfortunately.
Assuming you are in Melbourne, Au., I don't know if this is available where you are but it is in NZ, Exzolt. It isn't available here in the US, but appears to work well. As far as I'm concerned from my experiences with DE, it's worthless. I bought a 50 pound bad. Now I think it was a waste of money, but some swear by it. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom