Diatomaceous earth (mirical in a bag)

Bparrott85

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
24
2
24
Has anyone else used this? I was told at
The tractor supply that its is a cure all. I got
It the keep mites and other parasites off my birds. But they said people even mix it in water and drink it to promote weight loss and help with heartburn. It is supposed to kill every kind of parasite from internal th external. I dusted my dogs and it got rid of fleas. It's also full of calcium
400
 

Ribbit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 9, 2012
52
3
33
United Kingdom
I honestly wouldn't have thought it would be that great for internal parasites. Sure it contains calcium but also silica and lacerates and dehydrates parasites.

That's kinda why I don't see why it'd be helpful for poultry, more like irritating the digestive tract. I personally wouldn't use it internally unless I really had to as I'm sure they're probably more effective products.
 

ChickensRDinos

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
2,242
240
208
Los Angeles
I would do some further reading. DE is good for some things but it is not a cure-all. It does not work when wet and does not work as de-wormer or on internal parasites.

It is mostly used for external bugs like lice and mites and works best on insects with exoskeletons. It can work on snails and other gastropods but not as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

Food grade is not toxic but can cause dehydration so do not over-feed if you do feed it to yourself or your animals.
 
Last edited:

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
47,959
107,292
1,712
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
I would do some further reading. DE is good for some things but it is not a cure-all. It does not work when wet and does not work as de-wormer or on internal parasites.

It is mostly used for external bugs like lice and mites and works best on insects with exoskeletons. It can work on snails and other gastropods but not as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

Food grade is not toxic but can cause dehydration so do not over-feed if you do feed it to yourself or your animals.
X2

DE works well for the external killing of mites and lice as the hard crystal like edges of the "rock" cut the exoskeleton system of the bugs and kills them. However once it gets wet, by feeding it internally, it no longer holds it's sharp properties. It does have calcium and other trace minerals that can help with egg laying and other health benefits. However it does not kill any internal bugs.
 
Last edited:

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
47,959
107,292
1,712
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Oh...but it does work really well for dusting the areas where birds sleep and nest. If you keep your birds in aviaries, this stuff works great to ward off mites and lice on the floors etc...It is also a good drying agent to dry up wet spots as well. So it does have it's value.
 

Bparrott85

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
24
2
24
I have done my research on it. There are no bad effects to ingesting it.I am a falconer and know other falconers that use this stuffed inside a mouse to worm their hawks and they all swear by it. You may be right about it not working internally i cant say either way just lnow what my buddies have told me. My birds get a dust bath of this at least once a week and they eat all they want then. It kills the heck outta fleas I seen that first hand. My birds love it!!
400
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom