Diatomacious Earth-

aabbott

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
I have read a lot on DE and am using it to dust my chickens, coop, nest boxes, and 'bathing areas'- how often should I dust the chickens and the rest of their palace?? I found that there are mites
ep.gif
and am not sure how often they should be dusted.... can someone help me?
Thanks-
Abbott's chicken spa....

First, make sure its "Food Grade" DE. I dust my coop and run once or twice a week. Just a light dusting is all ive seemed to need, and when i notice the fly population picking up i dust again. Drys out the dukey great, and definitely keeps the flys in check. I havent had a mite problem, but my birds have a large dirt bathing area that i make sure is mixed well with DE, so i guess thats workin well too.

Quote:
Thanks for rersponding- this is our first summer having this trouble- we have had chickens for 4 summers now and have never had this- but we have also had a wet spring this year- will mark my calendar and dust again soon- I too have a huge dirt area for the hens for bathing- and also added DE to that- and yes, it is food grade- I got it from our local organic grain mill-

Ive never used a calender or anything, i dont have show birds, and a lotta times i do things on a whim. Not like id go six months between necessary feed, grit, DE...etc but i dont fret over things either. Im a technical perfectionist by nature and have to keep reminding myself this is for pleasure and relaxation, otherwise id have spreadsheets, graphs, pie charts...etc.
big_smile.png
Another thing, when i start getting too technical, i just remind myself of the chickens on my Uncle Joe's farm in central Illinois when i was a kid...they didnt have fancy coops, covered runs, AC or fans blowing on em, and im not sure anyone scattered food for em every day. To everyone back then, the chickens were NOT pets, they were for food or eggs, and were JUST CHICKENS, nothing more, nothing less. So, i dont worry myself about mix ratios, roost height, coop flooring...etc, I normally just go with what everyone on here says to do then dont worry about it.

I have been using DE every week to help with the flies but without success. Not sure what I am doing wrong? As far as dusting the girls, I mix the DE in a couple of areas they like to dust bath in. I can do that now but when ever we do start getting rain that will end.

Are you using enough DE maybe??? In a 20' x 20' run i use about three 24oz cups. When im done it sorta looks like it snowed. With all ther scratching, in a coupla hours u can barely tell i did it, but the poops dry and flies are virtually GONE. Coupla days later, maybe three, i have to do it again. We are at a hunnerd degrees now DAILY with ZERO rain! Dont know if that has anything to do with it, but the DEs workin the way im doin it.

Back
Top Bottom