Did I get a Roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by audioguy, Aug 25, 2011.

1. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Decided to get a few chicks for eggs back in April. Got 4 from mypetchicken.com. Right from the start I noticed that one of the 4 looked different. I even posted the photo here for all the pro's to have a look, just to make sure I got all of the same breed. It was confirmed by everyone that looked at the post that I indeed had 4 easter eggers.
    Here is the photo I posted. 3 look like chipmunks, but the other, dunno. . . .

[​IMG]

Now that same dark chick looks like this. . . . . do I have a Roo????
    [​IMG]

This chick is starting to get aggressive with the other and has isolated one and will not leave her alone. There is no crowing or cock-a-doodle-do's.

How can I tell?

The others dont have as much pink on their faces.
    Here they are together.
    [​IMG]

2. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    They look just like my Ameraucanas (e.g. EE). I had one that looked like a "chipmunk" and the other was just a gray little fluffy ball. I'm not an expert but, I'd think that its safe to say that she is a hen.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Looks like a hen to me. Some just mature faster than others in terms of reddening up.

4. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    Yeah. She looks more like a hen.

5. atomic_chicken

atomic_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    B.C. Canada
    Beautiful birds, My friend has a pair of EE hens and a rooster. The rooster has thicker legs and a lot more fluff around the face. she looks a lot like my Ameraucana

I say hen.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  6. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    From the picture it looks like a pullet/hen. Sounds like she is also the top of the pecking order in this group she grew up with.

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Looks like a pullet to me. By the way, they are not considered hens or roosters until one year old. Until then they are pullets and cockerels.

8. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    hen

9. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Deff looks like a hen! I have 3 Easter eggers I bought in April as well. One which looked like a chipmunk one was dark red with a black racing stripe down her back(Her name is Porscha lol) and one that was just dark dark red fluff ball. [​IMG] but yes she is deff a hen [​IMG]

10. Erin K

Erin K Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    She's really pretty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by