Did I get some Cornish X in my assortment?

Fredster

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Alabama
We got a batch of straight run heavy breeds from McMurray a couple of weeks ago. According to McMurray, they are:

Our choice of varieties, but we guarantee at least 5 different ones from this list: Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Columbian, Partridge, Buff Rocks; Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star. This dual purpose assortment is sure to satisfy your need.

We've definitely got five breeds, and I haven't really tried to ID any of them except for the partridge rocks. Pretty birds, nice and healthy except for a couple that died the first day.

But...I'm wondering if we got some Cornish X by mistake. Four (or was it six?) of the chicks are giants, dwarfing all the others (which are already large breeds). The chicks are white, and appear to be growing so quickly the feathers can't keep up --- there are pink spots visible all over them when they're under the light. They've got the super-thick stumpy legs the Cornish crosses seem to have, too.

The only chicks of the breeds they listed that start out white are White Rocks and White Orpingtons. Big breeds for sure, but that big?
smile.png

Here are a couple of pics. My apologies for the quality; I took the good camera, only to find the battery in the flash dead when I started snapping. As it's raining here, I didn't go back in for new ones.
wink.png

97347116em5.jpg

58289604hf5.jpg

Anyone know what I've got? If they're not Cornish X, I want to get more next time we order!​

Okay, I was so embarrassed by the pictures above that I put new batteries in the flash and went back out.

Here are some better ones:

66813813em8.jpg

These chicks are the same age.

12794547zw3.jpg

Whatever these are, they TOWER over everyone else, and they waddle when they walk. They're also very uncoordinated, I suspect because of their great size.

Last edited:
The legs are fat, just like Cornish Crosses.
We have a few White Rock roos in our assortment that
dwarfed all the others too but their legs weren't fat like
that.

My answer is a 90% yes.

You are going to want to separate them--- since Cornish Rocks are fed only 12 hours out of the day on a regular schedule-- or they eat themselves to death, or to where they can't walk, quite quickly.

Good Luck!

yep, those are cornish. I have 4 of them in my bathroom right now.
They look the same. And they will be huge before you know it.
I have the same age RIR but they look little comparing to the cornish.
Good luck with them
frow.gif

Thanks, guys. I thought they were Cornish Xs. I reckon McMurray will be getting a pretty scathing call on Monday.
smile.png

This is the second time I've ordered from them. The first order, they shorted me 4 chicks, and my batch shipped during the great avian encephalomyelitis epidemic of Feb/Mar. I was supposed to have 27 chicks, and we ended up with 13.

Now this.

I know most people love them, but I sure seem to be having less than normal luck with them.

We never used McMurrays-- tho our SIL did, and got mixed males/females tho ordered just pullets....
I like IDEAL... and will be ordering my Cornish x from Welp.... have heard good things...

Sorry you've had bad luck with McMurray. We've ordered from them twice and have had great luck both times. Our last order of rainbow layers, was supposed to be 25 pullets, and we got 24 pullets. Plus our free rare and exotic was a pullet, white polish.

I would agree, those look like Cornish X's. Good eating, but not what you wanted. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom