Did I make the biggest mistake??

Kariann

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Tennessee
I am new to hatching.
One egg hatched successfully a couple hours ago, and when I was watching the little one try to get out if the last bit if its egg, I realized that I had forgotten to remove the turner tray! Eggs were pipping on the bottom and the chick was restrained by the turner section it was in.
I opened the incubator and removed the tray as quickly as possible. The hatched chick is all over the place, bumping into the other eggs and peeping but none appear to be progressing past that first pip I saw before opening the incubator.
Did I kill the other eggs?

Attachments

• 20210920_112044.jpg
    20210920_112044.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 17
Do they appear to be moving at all? Can you read their heart beat? A chick will make their first pip, then rest up to 8 hours before pipping again. I have heard of people having chicks start hatching before Lockdown, so the turner was still inside and the chicks were fine. :)

My chicks hatched about a day apart from each-other, and they started incubating at the same time. Some chicks just take their time!

Thank you, Lacy Duckwing, nuthatched, Feather Tay, and Pawsitivly!

The one that is completely hatched is quite lively and whenever I'm looking in, it comes to me like it wants me to get it 💜 I haven't seen any movement with any of the other eggs, including the one that a wee bit of shell has come off and there is a tee-tiny hole in the membrane that I had seen a bit of feather poking through.

I'll try to be patient, thank you for the reassurance! I'll not make the mistake again, though.

Hatching is a process - this is why lockdown is 3 days long. That's how long it can take from pip to zip with some.

Everything is: make a little progress, rest a few hours, make a little more. Chicks need to soak up their blood, pip internally, get used to breathing, absorb their yolk sack, pip externally and unzip.

Sometimes the external pip comes before they absorb the yolk, so always give them ample time to get through this part.

If the tyrant chick is going mental and disrupting the set eggs, you could consider moving it to the brooder, but just make sure the temp and humidity don't get the chance to drop for too long, especially if there are external pips.

Hatching is a process - this is why lockdown is 3 days long. That's how long it can take from pip to zip with some.

Everything is: make a little progress, rest a few hours, make a little more. Chicks need to soak up their blood, pip internally, get used to breathing, absorb their yolk sack, pip externally and unzip.

Sometimes the external pip comes before they absorb the yolk, so always give them ample time to get through this part.

If the tyrant chick is going mental and disrupting the set eggs, you could consider moving it to the brooder, but just make sure the temp and humidity don't get the chance to drop for too long, especially if there are external pips.
Thanks!
Also, there are 3 hatchlings, and they are super active, causing unhatched to roll around and even bump into another egg or the wall of the incubator. What should I do??

Thanks!
Also, there are 3 hatchlings, and they are super active, causing unhatched to roll around and even bump into another egg or the wall of the incubator. What should I do??
You should remove the hatchlings. The eggs shouldn't be turned at this time, and them getting turned can either sufercate, or drown the chicks inside.

You should remove the hatchlings. The eggs shouldn't be turned at this time, and them getting turned can either sufercate, or drown the chicks inside.
I removed the hatchlings, luckily enough, they're almost completely dried up. The humidity dropped to about 40 while I was removing the hatchlings and riting the rolled eggs to the position where the pipped side is facing up.
So, I am all worried again.
1. One egg with a tip of beak poking out has not moved or progressed.
2. A couple others are not moving, I had seen little wobbles earlier.
3. I also have one that does wobble and chirp, but the wee hole in the shell from the pip looks like what I would imagine it would look like if the drop in humidity dried the membrane (which as of yet, looks pale yellow and opaque). Should I nip the membrane to make sure the chick can breathe? Of course, doing so would mean opening the incubator again.

Is there anything I could or should do?

Back
Top Bottom