Did I really just hatch 3 roosters 😭

Chickerywitchery

Chirping
Jul 3, 2022
I've got 5 chickens who are about 3 months old. So far I've heard 2 of them attempt to crow but now one of the previously thought hens has grown a very long rooster like tail 😬 if someone could give me their opinion on tail growth vs age vs idk what else it would be appreciated!

In the group picture, left to right, my guesses are: male, female, male, female, female, and the hen who hatched them is far right lol no one tell her these probably aren't her biological chicks.

Attachments

• 20220925_192925.jpg
    20220925_192925.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220925_192937.jpg
    20220925_192937.jpg
    738.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220925_192954.jpg
    20220925_192954.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 8
Yep, (left to right) 1, 3 and 4 are cockerels.
I'm mostly going by their comb size at this point, and also one can see a few pointed saddle feathers.

Thank you everyone! Any reason why 2 of them don't have tail feathers while the 3rd has such a showy one already?
Different birds mature at different rates, even when they are the same breed. If they are different breeds, or mixed breeds, it's even more common to have them mature at different rates.

The one with a showy tail also has male saddle feathers visible on his back, while the others just aren't as far along in growing their adult feathers.

I notice the one with a showy tail has a rose comb, while the other two males have single combs, so they may not have both of the same parents. Having different parents can mean they also inherit different genes for how fast they grow up.

Different birds mature at different rates, even when they are the same breed. If they are different breeds, or mixed breeds, it's even more common to have them mature at different rates.

The one with a showy tail also has male saddle feathers visible on his back, while the others just aren't as far along in growing their adult feathers.

I notice the one with a showy tail has a rose comb, while the other two males have single combs, so they may not have both of the same parents. Having different parents can mean they also inherit different genes for how fast they grow up.
Thank you! I have no idea who the mother is to any of these babies but the father is a lavendar orphington, I was surprised to see so little of his coloring especially since none of my hens are solid black.

I have silver laced, golden laced, and red black laced wyandotte hens along with chocolate orphington and the columbian wyandotte in the photo who went broody. All the eggs were different shades and sizes so I assumed I had gathered eggs from everyone to have different looking chicks but that didn't turn out

Back
Top Bottom