Did I Ruin My Rooster?

Today, I am cleaning things out ahead of a big storm. And I let mine out and about while doing so. Late last summer, I hatched out 2, one of them being a rooster. He is just a mutt, with a few feathers on his legs, and I really have had no intention of keeping him.

However, he really has not given me any reason to cull him. I do have some pure bred chicks coming in early April, and I thought I would keep a rooster out of them...but today, I was quite impressed with this cockerel. He has yet to crow, I have not seen any fertilized eggs, but today, he stuck very close to all of them, kept them all pretty much together, and was quite alert to his surroundings without being in a panic. All things I like in my roosters.

One of the things that I did not mention on a previous post, I think you get better roosters, when they are raised up in a flock of older birds. Flock mate roosters, often times out grow the pullets quickly, and can bully their way through them, and continue that bullying to all around them. Cockerels raised up with older hens, are NOT the biggest thing in the flock, and learn some manners.

So far, this rooster should be called Bye, today he just might have earned a bye... we will see. Those of you wondering if you would like a rooster, this is the kind of a rooster you want, from someone like me who would not hesitate to cull. They are out there.

Mrs K

I recently just sent my 7 month old Buff Orpington Rooster to a new home. He was attacking my kids, wife, even me. The funny thing is A.) Buff Orpingtons are supposed to be docile B.) I raised this rooster up from the day he hatched C.) He was very friendly right up until he got mean. This rooster loved to jump on my lap, eat out of my hand, and be carried around/petted. I’ve had some people tell me that I made him mean by babying him too much. I guess they’re trying to say he learned to not respect me because he didn’t fear me. Did I mess up? I have a new rooster now that is the same age and very timid. He’s terrified of me. I want to try and help him warm up to us, but I don’t want to create another monster. Should I just leave the new roo alone and keep things the way they are, or should I try and befriend him? Thanks for any info!
I'd leave the new rooster alone. I've heard the same thing before. Spoil the rooster, and he'll be mean. I had a Buff Orpington rooster before that was never babied, and he never attacked. I babied another rooster, and I couldn't pick it up without mittens on because he was so mean.

I'd leave the new rooster alone. I've heard the same thing before. Spoil the rooster, and he'll be mean. I had a Buff Orpington rooster before that was never babied, and he never attacked. I babied another rooster, and I couldn't pick it up without mittens on because he was so mean.

I'd never say you "ruined him" but here's what I'd like to add -

I had four cockerels that I raised from when they were really young and all turned monsters once they hit puberty. I had to cull them but I wasn't sure why they turned out like that. Then, according to my gran, it was because I'm not a chicken. She said that a bad cockerel will be bad from that start, we will just not notice it as they're this tiny little thing just pecking away at your skin. But when these things grow up and add the male hormones in the mix, they'll get very aggressive. Mums on the other hand will understand that they are being bad and punish them. So, cockerels raised by hens are more tolerable, so dont say you "ruined them" please!!

I'd never say you "ruined him" but here's what I'd like to add -

I had four cockerels that I raised from when they were really young and all turned monsters once they hit puberty. I had to cull them but I wasn't sure why they turned out like that. Then, according to my gran, it was because I'm not a chicken. She said that a bad cockerel will be bad from that start, we will just not notice it as they're this tiny little thing just pecking away at your skin. But when these things grow up and add the male hormones in the mix, they'll get very aggressive. Mums on the other hand will understand that they are being bad and punish them. So, cockerels raised by hens are more tolerable, so dont say you "ruined them" please!!
Thanks! Honestly at this point I have a new rooster so whimpy I’m afraid to leave him pinned up with the other hens. They’re very mean to him and he’s not even attempting to challenge their behavior. He’s definitely not shown an ounce of aggression towards us. I just hope they don’t literally kill him.

Thanks! Honestly at this point I have a new rooster so whimpy I’m afraid to leave him pinned up with the other hens. They’re very mean to him and he’s not even attempting to challenge their behavior. He’s definitely not shown an ounce of aggression towards us. I just hope they don’t literally kill him.
Use your observations and judgement to access the situation and do what you can to keep him safe.

Remember you can always let him sleep alone if you have an extra enclosure, preventing injuries is important.

So, cockerels raised by hens are more tolerable, so dont say you "ruined them" please!!
I agree, I think flock mate roosters make for the worst roosters, and roosters raised up in a multi-generational flock tend to develop much better chicken society. They do not become pets so easily, and they tend to do better jobs.

These are all just tendencies, because roosters are a crapshoot, however, you will notice on here, that people that have lots of chickens, and have had those chickens for lots of years, seldom have trouble with their roosters. I think they tend to cull any problems more quickly too. And that older birds do a lot of schooling as to manners.

I was watching 'Bye" today, and he really is developing some nice rooster traits...he has a long ways to go yet, but he might not be as easy cull as he was a while ago. He did almost tidbit for a pullet today, and when she wandered off, he went to her.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom