Did It!

aclee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Amesbury, MA
Well we did our first bird. I would guess it was 3-4 pounds after processing. Nice looking bird. Plucking by hand is a
barnie.gif
! Glad we won't be doing hte other 37 by hand! Husband did the cut, and it went fine. Just thought I would mention...because it was the ONLY thing that happened that I haven't been told would happen, or seen happen in all the millions of youtube videos. When they die...they poop. Just FYI. I guess I should have known that, and I wasn't startled or anything, just no one had mentioned it before.

I plucked and did about 1/2 the evisceration, as much as two people can share an evisceration....That stuff is in there a lot better than I was expecting. You have to really rip it out.

Anyway, bird is on ice in the fridge, and we're planning to smoke it this weekend.

Last edited:
last year when loading our 50 cornish x to take them to the butcher, dh gave me the job of picking each one up and taking it outside to the crates. almost everyone of them pooped on me as i carried them outside - what a mess. this year i'm going to wear a raincoat.

Did you withhold feed for a period of time before processing? We used to take away all feed the afternoon or evening before the processing day (even though I was more inclined to give them a special last meal and treats...)

I never really thought about it, but most of the animals I've dispatched have done that. I've seen hogs do it, along with mice, deer, rabbits, squirrels, opossums. About the only I've not seen do that would be fish. Although, when I was younger, a friend of mine caught a very nice, male trout that, to quote Cousin Eddie, "had a little Mississippi leg hound in him."

Back
Top Bottom