Did my chicken get to cold?

Beth21

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
The temp got down to the single digits last night and she is now slow moving and seems heavier? Than what she was. Almost like dead weight it seems like. Not really fighting me when I go to pick her up? Did she get to cold or is it something else? Please help

Im sorry your hen doesnt feel well! How old is she? From what you describes it sounds similar to when a hen is about to lay an egg, they get slow moving and seem a little fluffier than normal. But that might not be the case at all either.

There are a lot of amazing knowledgeable members on here, I hope they can answer you quickly!

welcome-byc.gif
My hens have survived in weather below zero, so just make sure that she has a warm and dry place to retreat to. She might be about ready to lay an egg or she might just be cold and trying to save her body heat and energy. Is she eating and drinking normally?

Yeah she is eating and drinking normally as far as I know. She doesn't look to be loosing weight and she has access to food and water. She might be getting ready to lay like what you say. She hasn't laid yet. Thanks you very much

If you stick around and watch her you might be able to see her lay it. Last weekm one of my Isa hens was doing the same thing, right before she layed, she raised her wings a little higher and a few minutes later it came out.

Ive been more observant when they are like this and it made me realize something funny. It sort of looks like theyre walking around like a pregnant woman.

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

The cold probably weakened her and she is suffering from something else. You need to give her an over all exam to see if something is a miss with her. You might also post this question with as much details about her as you can in the emergency section of BYC....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your hen and enjoy BYC!

She was in the laying box when we saw she was slow. We took her out and put her by the lamp. I went back out to check on her and she is back in the laying box makes me think she is laying for the first time.

Here is trick for cold nights in coop.

Fill a lidded bucket with really hot tap water to the top and place on the lid. The lid prevents evaporation and cooling. The bucket will radiate heat all night and will still be warm in the morning.

We may only have 6 cold days a year here in Florida but this is good way to keep the coop a little warmer and prevent the waterer from freezing.

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom