Did we get what we paid for?

I have not read through all of this or watched the video but I did look at the vent sexing bit and it has very nice pictures
https://www.brimwoodfarm.com/articles/2018/7/5/coturnix-quail-sexing
I don’t squeeze, I gently rub below their vent just above their tail.
I first vent sexing my quails at about 6 weeks then again and 8 weeks

The females can have some foam in them, when I check if very little foam comes out and they don’t have a lump by their tail, I put them down again do the rest and then try again.
Thank you so much! That link really will help!

Vent sexing 'mature' coturnix quail is easy. Firmly hold them in a way that will not allow their wings to flap, flip them over to get a good view of their vent. Push feathers away from their vent area with your free hand. A bulbous, protruding, often red bulge at the vent indicates a sexually mature male. A wide vent, often oval shaped indicates a laying hen. A tiny "o" vent could be either an immature male or a non-laying female.

If they sold those birds as guaranteed females they should be ashamed of themselves and refund your money or swap them out. That much red/orange on the chest is a definite male. I only see one female (top in first pic) and the rest are males.

Some males do take a little longer to feather in, and mine typically start towards the bottom of the chest and work upwards. So some do still have speckles towards the neck at 4 weeks but the red/orange is a dead giveaway it's a boy.
We drove quite a ways because we live in east texas and the only quail breeders in our area breed bobwhites. The breeder offered to pay us back 40 (30 refunded and 10 for our trouble) if we didn't want the quail but we'd have to drive all the way back and it wouldn't be worth the gas so we're just gonna keep em and purchase quail or eggs from somewhere else

We drove quite a ways because we live in east texas and the only quail breeders in our area breed bobwhites. The breeder offered to pay us back 40 (30 refunded and 10 for our trouble) if we didn't want the quail but we'd have to drive all the way back and it wouldn't be worth the gas so we're just gonna keep em and purchase quail or eggs from somewhere else
Look into Myshire. They sell eggs and breeding groups

To be fair, if you bought them at 4 weeks old, they probably didn't quite look like this, right? It's pretty hard to sex them before 6 weeks. I usually can't say for sure before eight weeks old.
Not true. I can feather sex my birds at 3 weeks.

The breeder just said male couturnix have no speckles around their necks whatsoever...🤨 Is this true? Because our male couturnix at home has some tiny ones around his neck like the quail in the first pictures.
No...this is not true either. Some males can have some speckles.

Back
Top Bottom