did ya ever paint a room and end up not liking the color

This is a good thread/post:) When I first built my house ~i always wanted a bright RED room. I don't know why,I just did. I don't know...maybe it was just the hippy in me coming out;) (mind you the rest of the house was all neutral colors like, light browns and beige with light color pergo matching floors..And then there was this ~completely out of place~ 'BRIGHT RED' DINEING room! (Totally out of place!) People would walk in and say WOW! It looks nice.(Obviously being polite)After about a year I decided 'The RED has got to go'!. IT took me about 5 coats till I finally got the red to stop bleeding through...Never again will I try to decorate my house again! I've learned my lesson..though I can build a house from ground up, I will leave the decorating part to the pro's from now on!

If you're using a darker color, tint the primer, you'll get a truer color and need less coats. Same with covering up paint. Priming will help seal the old paint and keep it from seaping through.

I have a room that I liked the color at first... but now........ not so much. It's a mid/dark green with a slight blue tint..... that matches my counters in the other room.. but I hate them too so eventually they'll be torn out. So, I've been wanting to paint a different color in there for a while.

Back when teal was the It Color, probably a good fifteen years or so ago, we painted our small upstairs bathroom teal and white, using a particularly obnoxious shade of teal. I don't know what we were thinking. It turned out dark and hideous. Being po' young folks just starting out, we promptly booked a three-month cruise down the River Denial and told ourselves and one another that it looked great, and we just needed to get used to it.

After the three months was up, we wallpapered, because we couldn't take it anymore.

I can't resist commenting, since I work at a Ben Moore store (and have for 8 years) so I help people pick color on a daily basis...FOR THE MOST PART (unless you have a monkey tinting your paint) the color on your wall IS the color on the swatch. It's not like a BNS- colors just translate so different when you see them on all four walls vs the little 1x1 square. Samples help- but honestly-if you can find a good retailer (our store is an independant retailer of ben moore, in addition to being an interior design showroom) they will KNOW those colors and how they look on the wall. Paint costs a bit more than the walmart special, or behr, or even "shermin williams" as people call it... but IT'S WORTH IT IN SAVING THE MISTAKES YOU MAKE!!! Plus the paint is better anyway. Less coats! Now I sound like an ad
roll.png

I'm just trying to say that 7/10 times people pick out what they think is a "soft buttery yellow" on the swatch looks like school bus yellow on their walls. WE know what color you really want, and can help you find it, if you tell us what you are looking for and trust our opinions
smile.png

That's all
big_smile.png

Ps- any questions are welcome!

OMG! I have one lilac wall in my dining room and 1 and a half gallons of the paint sitting there. Yeah . . . . . .been like that for over 2 years. I know I need to try again, but I'm almost afraid to tackle it.

I wanted a pretty purple, but I'm painting over panelling, and we have poor lighting in there -- so it makes the room seem even darker *sigh*

It's always nice to know that other folks are in the same boat, LOL!

one word : FAUX.

I've got a beautiful great room, with terra cotta and cream checkerboard tile, knotty pine grooved wood ceiling and baseboards, and... MAUVE walls!
sickbyc.gif

ok, I didn't do this, the house came that way.
when I went in to the hardware store, I started with paint chips of the existing colors, trying to figure out what to do... the nice lady there asked if she could help and I said I was looking for paint to use as faux layers over the existing color ... she looked faintly queasy and asked "um, did you choose these colors?" Ha! NO! she said "Oh, good! lets see if we can fix it."

anyway, I'm putting a color wash over it.
one light coat of sunny yellow gold, cross hatched to leave some of the shadow of the mauve, for depth, then colorwash tan and pumpkin and metalic gold glaze over it... looks just like buckskin!

and just because good enough isn't, I've got a "shadow" mural under the colorwash layer... I've painted silhouette cattails, bull rushes, johnsongrass, trees, flying mallards and cranes in a solid cream over the sunny yellow, THEN colorwashed... it gives an effect that doesn't really look like a mural, but hints at one. it's turning out VERY cool.

so maybe the MAUVE wasn't a wrong color, it was just Basecoat.

mom'sfolly :

I'm very conservative on color. I always get a sample of the paint, and paint patches of wall before I make a final selection. Some things look great in full sun, but look hideous on the shaded part of the room. DS wanted a red room, and we tried samples of about 4 reds. On all of them the coverage was horrible, and the color funky. He has a two-toned blue room.

My neighbors had the exterior of their house painted, and left before the painters started. They came home and found their house didn't match the sample, which was an off white. The house has been the most hideous shade of yellow (pale with a very green hue, next to limestone brick) for several years now. Me, I would have made them repaint it.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Absolutely! That way you don't end up with a whole wall (or worse, whole room) with a color you end up not liking when it's dried. Or you could have like a sample board with the primer painted on and put your samples on that (better if they are dark colors).

Back
Top Bottom