Did you ever bring your chicken to Petco?

Quote:
I TOTALLY and FULLY agree with you! If someone can't control their pet around other animals they have no buisness bringing them into that store! I'd like to note I'm one of those small women that SOMETIMES gets dragged around by my 180lb St Bernard. He's been extremely well trained to respond to my commands and I'm pretty strong and hold on to him well. Sometimes he just sees someone he knows or pulls extra hard or catches me off guard when there is a really interesting dog he wants to meet. Imagine the way people look at my family, my dad, a really big New York italian guy and his scrawny little beagle, my BF a tall buff native american guy and his stumpy little basset hound, and me, five foot nothing leading a dog (that behaves better than both of theirs thanks to my training and him being such a mommas boy) that weighs more than me. He would never hurt a thing but sure makes me feel safe.

I've been job hunting at the local pet and feed stores in town. Tomorrow I'm going to take one of my chickens with me. Which do you think would would draw more strange looks? My Serama roo is recovering from dry fowl pox (FINALLY!) so he isn't going anywhere, but my splash sizzle naked neck and my white silkie roo are very well behaved.

I'm thinkin my naked neck sizzle.... I'm bringing a camera!
gig.gif

Love this thread, totally makes me giggle. At first, the BF and I were like, why would people do that? Now, we are like,we're totally doing that.

OH I SHALL take pictures, hahahaha

gig.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
That reminds me... I had twin boy chinchillas once. Even though they like the cold they liked to snuggle up to my chest inside my hoodie. I got so use to it I forgot they were there once and got in my car and drove to Wal-Mart. I was back in the photo lab waiting on some prints and I was leaning on the counter. They guy behind the counter kept looking at me (and not in the eyes if you know what I mean) and I thought he was being awful rude and was about to say something as he handed me my prints, right then both chins decided to wake up and let loose with their "evil laughter".

I'll let you guys imagine the rest
lau.gif

BTW, if you've never heard a Chinchilla bark, mine kind of sounds like this one
only it barks a little deeper and faster.

I would not want to take the risk of my pet chicken getting killed. Some people DO take their uncontrollable animals out. Why risk it. Not only that, why risk picking up a disease from someone else, as well. My pet will stay home and be safe. Risk just for a laugh? Nope, not for me.

I work in a bookstore I often have people meet me there to pick up birds. Its easy to find and quite frankly the fewer people that can find my house the better. Anyway even though the birds are there only about one in five customers "notice" them. most of the kids find them. I once had a customer n the store that was on the phone the entire time even during checkout, (pet peeve of mine please pause your conversation about getting your bikini line waxed long enough for me to thank you for coming to the store) ( oh yea NO PHONE IN THE RESTROOM !!!!
sickbyc.gif
) until the rooster crowed and she dropped the phone
big_smile.png
The kids often ask if there are any critters in the store. We do allow dogs on hot days.

There are so many crazy people in the world that I don't even like taking my dogs in there. I have a boy that occasionally gets snarky with puppies under his feet. I can just imagine the reaction to him snarking at a yapper dog that is allowed to run around on a flexi with no supervision. Nope, not comfortable putting my pet's lives in the hands of strangers. I can't understand anyone chancing it with a prey animal...

Darn if I didn't mention to my son the other day about bringing one of my chickens into PetSmart. It'd have to be Laru who is my favorite. He is a Silver Sebright and I spoil him rotten. He barely tolerates traveling on my arm much less in a car or on the handle of a cart. But it would be neat to see what reactions that I'd get.

I don't personally think it's a very nice thing to do, to take an animal somewhere that's scary and dangerous for it, just to show off or attract attention.

JMHO,

Pat

I'm doing a demo with chickens at the local farmers market, and I was thinking of taking the chicken i was keeping out for the kids to pet to petco to see how she reacts to people petting her, kinda a test. after reading this thread i'm going to do it, and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom