Didn’t Get It All Out! Bumblefoot Surgery

SarahsGarden

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2021
Hey all
I had to do the surgery and I didn’t get it all!!! What do I do?!!!
My pekin has yet another case of bumblefoot. She must’ve hit the tip of her toe as there was the black scab but it was really small. I just pulled it off. Well then I noticed her big toe in the middle had a swollen knot. After a day of deliberating, I decided to go ahead and do the surgery. I’ve done it twice before and REALLY don’t care for it.
Anyway. I did a 3/4in incision and after 20 min was able to pop out a huge bumble kernel. The next day when I went to change her bandage I noticed the sound was opened and I could tell there was another kernel in there that was trying to work its way out. When I got the kernel out it just felt like the area was swollen and she was in pain so I stopped squeezing.
WHAT DO I Do?!!! With it being on the top of her foot, the skin is so tender it’s incredibly painful.
Do I attempt to go back in and get it out?
Do I let it heal then try again?
Should I leave it and hope for the best?
Someone please help! I feel awful! We both went through this terrible surgery only to know it wasn’t enough. I’ll do whatever I can to help her. There’s no nearby vets that see waterfowl so I’m on my own.
I’m the pics you can see the lump and what I popped out.

Attachments

• 469A770B-9782-4051-8561-70C4697B8AB3.jpeg
    469A770B-9782-4051-8561-70C4697B8AB3.jpeg
    851.2 KB · Views: 62
  • A0A295A2-6198-49C0-9D27-4B1884A11C5B.jpeg
    A0A295A2-6198-49C0-9D27-4B1884A11C5B.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 33
Yes, I could see a white spot protruding. I went back in last night and was able to pull out several tiny kernels. Looked all good and free of everything. Went to change her bandage today and could see yet ANOTHER white spot right at the incision! I don’t want to keep going in. The incision is now open a bit. She seems ok but the horror I have put her through! I’m hoping it works it’s way out as she walks around. At least up enough so I can pull it out without doing any more cuts. It’s right around her toe muscle tissue which is starting to be exposed. Any thoughts?

Have you tried going in from the top? I think at this point it's crucial to get everything out before it spreads to muscle tissue and eventually renders her lame. Do you have a picture of the foot?

Have you tried going in from the top? I think at this point it's crucial to get everything out before it spreads to muscle tissue and eventually renders her lame. Do you have a picture of the foot?
Hey there, apologies for the late response. Still dealing with it. In fact I popped another kernel out today. She is however seemingly feeling much better as she is back to her LOUD chatty and demanding self. No more laying in the corner. She’s up walking and pretend running as Pekins have a pitiful excuse for a run lol. I discovered Epsom salt poultice (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) and that’s reduced the swelling quite a bit. Hopefully we get some more progress and the wound closes up. Right now it’s just kinda there. Clean, not red or warm. But an open spot that every few days has a kernel at the opening. If you have any suggestions let me know!

I love Magna Poultice.... but I have found that the warm water Epsom salt soaks 2-3 x a day seem to help more (followed w vetricyn spray, isolation for the affected duck, and ocd level cleaning of their isolation area. I’ve not had the best success with “bandage boots” but - sometimes I can get them to work. Depends on the individual, isolation area, and circumstances)....
I like the soak because it softens the tissues and makes it SO much easier to pull any “kernels” out while they are still present.

Sometimes I keep up with the soaks, sometimes I switch to the poultice once things are improving.
If the duck leaves the boots alone/ tolerates them well enough- I prefer to go to the poultice if I can. If not.... I’m stuck holding a duck in a warm water + Epsom salt soak at least twice a day, trying to keep them from drinking it (a bowl of clean water next to the soaking tub -near where their head is- has been helpful for me)

Also. I provide extra niacin for my ducks with every feeding.
Perhaps I’ve just been lucky..... but it has seemed to help and I’m happy for the extra “insurance”

I’m glad your girl is feeling more sassy- I hope she’s on her way to being back to her own (demanding) self! 😊

Here are pics to show the progression. First pic is just before surgery. Seemed ok then it developed this protruding wound. she was suffering and in so much pain. Had her on meds from the vet including meloxicam and nothing was working. But then I tried one last thing which was the Epsom poultice. The following pics are just after removing bandages the past few days. The green color is the poultice. It’s minty green slime.
last pic is what popped out of the opening today. Surprising it’s muuuuuuchbetter than it was but swelling is back today. I had only done about a half inch incision across the top. It created this round wound which now just constantly grows a kernel at the opening. Thoughts?

she is only getting warm baths in the house in the tub with Epsom and iodine. Then vetericyn spray. Then either neosporin or poultice on a cotton pad then wrapped up. Bandage boot comes off clean and dry on the inside so I know for sure it’s not getting dirty.

last pic is yum yum and her two besties ginger and yuzu

Attachments

• 383AC0DA-9422-4899-897F-0BB46D7AFF00.jpeg
    383AC0DA-9422-4899-897F-0BB46D7AFF00.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 6CFFC5A9-7996-48CB-9AC8-FCD1BB5243F7.jpeg
    6CFFC5A9-7996-48CB-9AC8-FCD1BB5243F7.jpeg
    586.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 6CB50810-CFCF-417A-A224-6D485567651C.jpeg
    6CB50810-CFCF-417A-A224-6D485567651C.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 13
  • F5862E15-8D54-4400-A163-B5A17A765042.jpeg
    F5862E15-8D54-4400-A163-B5A17A765042.jpeg
    589.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 9CBF6626-59F1-4386-B585-EA10998571C3.jpeg
    9CBF6626-59F1-4386-B585-EA10998571C3.jpeg
    577.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 89D61228-A540-4997-96AF-F955AEDB9086.jpeg
    89D61228-A540-4997-96AF-F955AEDB9086.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 11
  • BFFA2CCE-19F0-4F08-9557-41D280CB7E8A.jpeg
    BFFA2CCE-19F0-4F08-9557-41D280CB7E8A.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 5811C162-182E-4006-B20A-76E125B4AFDC.jpeg
    5811C162-182E-4006-B20A-76E125B4AFDC.jpeg
    743.2 KB · Views: 23
I love Magna Poultice.... but I have found that the warm water Epsom salt soaks 2-3 x a day seem to help more (followed w vetricyn spray, isolation for the affected duck, and ocd level cleaning of their isolation area. I’ve not had the best success with “bandage boots” but - sometimes I can get them to work. Depends on the individual, isolation area, and circumstances)....
I like the soak because it softens the tissues and makes it SO much easier to pull any “kernels” out while they are still present.

Sometimes I keep up with the soaks, sometimes I switch to the poultice once things are improving.
If the duck leaves the boots alone/ tolerates them well enough- I prefer to go to the poultice if I can. If not.... I’m stuck holding a duck in a warm water + Epsom salt soak at least twice a day, trying to keep them from drinking it (a bowl of clean water next to the soaking tub -near where their head is- has been helpful for me)

Perhaps I’ve just been lucky..... but it has seemed to help and I’m happy for the extra “insurance”

I’m glad your girl is feeling more sassy- I hope she’s on her way to being back to her own (demanding) self! 😊
Thankfully she loves wearing booties. Probably because it gives her some nice cushion on her foot pads. They’re such chubby bunnies their poor feet take such a beating! now allowing me to put ON the wrap booties? That’s another story. She’s pretty tolerant as long as I do it in under 2 minutes. Then she starts bucking like a bronco

Also good idea on the side bowl of water. honestly I just fill up the bathtub and let her have what we call “spa time” lol. If I shout in the yard…yum yum I have a bath for you, she comes waddling over and walks straight to the bathroom. I close the curtain and let her go nuts splashing around When I hear the little giggle they make I know she’s ready to come out. She doesn’t seem to drink the water. Wets her mouth but I don’t see her really drinking it as it probably tastes bad. Hope it’s ok because I’ve been doing it a year lol

Back
Top Bottom