Diet and feeding advice for disabled bantam

Katlus

Hatching
Apr 17, 2023
Hi everyone! Newbie chicken mom here…..I adopted a disabled bantam chick several months ago when she was only a 1.5 months old. She is now 8 months old is super sweet and affectionate with a huge personality and has essentially become my “child”, LOL. She was attacked by a hawk when she was about 1 month old and has been unable to walk since then. I took her in from the previous owner as I didn’t want her to be put down. I brought her to an Avian vet who said she likely had nerve damage but is perfectly healthy otherwise aside from not being able to walk. I even brought her in for 2 rounds of acupuncture (yes, I got the crazy look from friends and family when I told them, LOL) and tried lots of vitamins with no success :( I just couldn’t see myself putting her down because she is the happiest chick and the sweetest thing ever. I had made her a wheelchair to help her legs stretch out and she sleeps in a guinea pig cage at night. She is seriously spoiled rotten. I have accepted her condition and give her my undivided attention. My question is about her diet. Right now I only have her on chick starter crumbles as she refuses to eat anything else. I also make her a vitamin juice cocktail that has low dosages of vitamins B complex, D, and E that she gets every day. She isn’t laying eggs yet and I honestly don’t think she ever will due to her small size, limited sun exposure (she stays indoors), and limited mobility. Is feeding her chick starter crumbles long-term safe? I just want to make sure she is getting all the necessary nutrients. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• AE47CEC2-BB64-459A-98A2-C10CAE79CCF2.jpeg
    AE47CEC2-BB64-459A-98A2-C10CAE79CCF2.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 69
I feed my hens flock raiser, which is more similar to chick starter than layer, with oyster shell on the side. You can also try grower or all flock feed, which are also similar to chick starter but made more specifically for mature chickens.

First of all, thank you for loving that sweet creature!! You're a rare soul and I appreciate you very much.
♥️🙏♥️

Now then, chick starter is fantastic for now! Maybe try wetting some with a bit of warm water to make a mash as a treat. 🙂
Even if she never lays eggs, feeding her a good quality Grower* is something I would recommend. It comes in a crumble form which is easier for little beaks, even so, you should still have a container of free-choice grit available.
Treats are wonderful!
In moderation. 🙂 No more than about 10% of her total daily intake.
Mealworms, grubs, fruit and veggies are all good choices. 😊
Some greenery would be advisable, alfalfa is awesome! (I've used soaked alfalfa pellets mixed in with regular rations in the winter.)

Feel free to message me with questions, I'm writing this in a hurry, lol

*Sometimes called "all-flock", grower feed is sort of a compromise between layer and chick starter for mixed age/gender flocks. (Calcium can be a problem for very young birds.) It's usually higher in protein, and lower in calcium than Layer, but still has the necessary nutrients for adult chickens.

Oh yeah! Dust bath!
♥️
An upcycled kitty-litter box makes a wonderful "House Chicken" spa!😍
Add some sand, diatomaceous earth, or just dig up some dirt from your yard. Oddly enough, I too have a disabled bantam hen...and even though she can't really take an effective bath, she thoroughly enjoys spending time in the sun-warmed (preferably!😊), dirt. 🥰
Spending time outside is also fantastic for her mental health, let her eat some grass while safely supervised by her human Mama! 🙂

Thank you so much everyone for the amazing tips and advice!!! Will definitely introduce her to all flock or grower feed. I try to feed her fruits or veggies with no success. She is just so stuck on chick starter crumbles and occasionally boiled eggs. See is still doing great and I am just so attached to her. Not sure if it is normal but she never clucks and only trills. She will literally have a full blown conversation with me with her adorable trills. A bit embarrassed to say but her “house” (guinea pig cage) is decked out with an ipad so she can watch cartoons all day while I am working at home, LOL. Also made her a donut shaped bed with soft blankets to help keep her propped up. Made her a wheelchair but she isn’t crazy about it :(

Thank you so much everyone for the amazing tips and advice!!! Will definitely introduce her to all flock or grower feed. I try to feed her fruits or veggies with no success. She is just so stuck on chick starter crumbles and occasionally boiled eggs. See is still doing great and I am just so attached to her. Not sure if it is normal but she never clucks and only trills. She will literally have a full blown conversation with me with her adorable trills. A bit embarrassed to say but her “house” (guinea pig cage) is decked out with an ipad so she can watch cartoons all day while I am working at home, LOL. Also made her a donut shaped bed with soft blankets to help keep her propped up. Made her a wheelchair but she isn’t crazy about it :(
That is all so awesome!! Try putting a mirror where she can look into it, then watch her reaction as she see's her new "friend." ♥️😂♥️

Back
Top Bottom