Difference between Australorp and Langshan

Yes because Lady I got eggs from had different roos including langshan roo and all different types of hens.

If she didn't have the birds separated out into breeding pens by type then he could be a mix.

But for the record,

Ludwig was a Black Langshan, not show quality, but quite decent for a hatchery bird with reasonable type and the correct amount of foot feathering:

7944648-e8fadaf6e00b3db1f7eedc79c2fdf36a.jpg
7944649-478e71ee4364e2ab2e844fb535de0d54.jpg
7944657-b4ce89bfcf5b5d1748fc3fa65cea5096.jpg

See the characteristic Langhan U-shape? Also note that he was knee-high on my nearly 6-foot son -- over 2 feet tall.

Rameses is a Blue Australorp.

0715220916a.jpg
0731221115a.jpg
IMG_20230128_143426799.jpg

He carries his tail a bit higher than is ideal in the SOP, but his upper body doesn't make the same U-shape as Ludwig.

Additionally, notice that while Rameses is about half again as tall as his hens, Ludwig was twice as tall as those same hens.

Unfortunately, though they were quite good buddies, I never got a photo of the two of them together.

This is the sellers description

roosters are Double Laced Barnevelders & Blue Langshans so you may get 100% pure bred Barnvelders or Langshans in your mix. I also have hens that are Jersey Giants, Cochins, Australorps, Leghorns, Penedesencas, Hamburgs, Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Sapphire Olive Eggers & Prairie Bluebells.
He’s most likely a langshan mix, maybe a langshan x australorp. He can’t be a purebred australorp since the seller didn’t have any australorp roosters.

@3KillerBs Ludwig was very handsome!! There were a couple Langshan roos at the poultry show in Lodi last weekend—they are something to see in person!! They were ginormous beautiful creatures 🥰 you can’t tell size at all…but here’s one I just had to get a picture of 😍 he looks very similar to your boy but isn’t standing as well as he could!
E86DA615-3C2F-48D4-8A82-07E7A33256E6.jpeg

This is my Langshan hen…Australorps should be rounder in body type. As KillerBs stated, when standing their head and tail should create a U shape ☺️
C710BF12-1BCB-431F-96AC-585BEFC9E402.jpeg

@3KillerBs Ludwig was very handsome!! There were a couple Langshan roos at the poultry show in Lodi last weekend—they are something to see in person!! They were ginormous beautiful creatures 🥰 you can’t tell size at all…but here’s one I just had to get a picture of 😍 he looks very similar to your boy but isn’t standing as well as he could!
View attachment 3394177

This is my Langshan hen…Australorps should be rounder in body type. As KillerBs stated, when standing their head and tail should create a U shape ☺️
View attachment 3394178
Thank you! I feel strongly he's a langshan x Australorp mix

Back
Top Bottom