Difference between Black Cuckoo Marans and French Cuckoo Marans?

MissMarple

Songster
Aug 3, 2019
Arkansas
I noticed something funky looking on my only Cuckoo Marans legs one day and thought it was weird and kinda gross, honestly. I figured I should probably keep an eye on them because it just looked so gnarly. Stupid me, I didn't realize she was growing freaking feathers on her legs!! They looked SO weird at first. So, she was sold as simply a Cuckoo Marans at our local TSC and because I was new to this, I didn't know much and got multiples just for the fun of it! Turns out, only one of 3 was actually a Cuckoo Marans; the other two were BR's. Here's my question; is there a difference between a Black Cuckoo Marans and a French Cuckoo Marans or are they the same thing? Also, do strictly French Cuckoo Marans grow leg feathers? She was stubborn as could be this morning and didn't feel like having her picture taken but I did get a couple of shots of her feet before she took off and hid behind a tree. What say you, BYC'ers? French Cuckoo Marans if she has feathery legs or...? I surely don't know.
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg

sorry no help there for you missMarple, I have no experience with them but looking for information one them they sure are pretty. but both can have feathered feet, which in my climate wouldn't be a good things as we can have trouble finding our 4x4's sometimes,
From Cackle hatchery description that sells the French:The French Cuckoo Marans are one of the most versatile and most physically attractive types of Marans chickens. With feathered legs and striking speckled plumage, this bird is great for outdoor free-range flocks in cold climates as well as show-quality flocks. Like other Marans, this breed is especially rare in the United States. This breed produces a decent amount of dark brown or speckled eggs and also obtains a large size at a fast rate, so they can be a great addition to egg-laying, meat-production or dual-purpose flocks. Our French Cuckoo Marans flock is small, therefore quantities are limited.

But all I'm finding on black copper Marans is they too are french
most others are just listed as cuckoo Marans and can come in a variety of colors

sorry no help there for you missMarple, I have no experience with them but looking for information one them they sure are pretty. but both can have feathered feet, which in my climate wouldn't be a good things as we can have trouble finding our 4x4's sometimes,
From Cackle hatchery description that sells the French:The French Cuckoo Marans are one of the most versatile and most physically attractive types of Marans chickens. With feathered legs and striking speckled plumage, this bird is great for outdoor free-range flocks in cold climates as well as show-quality flocks. Like other Marans, this breed is especially rare in the United States. This breed produces a decent amount of dark brown or speckled eggs and also obtains a large size at a fast rate, so they can be a great addition to egg-laying, meat-production or dual-purpose flocks. Our French Cuckoo Marans flock is small, therefore quantities are limited.

But all I'm finding on black copper Marans is they too are french
most others are just listed as cuckoo Marans and can come in a variety of colors

That's actually extremely helpful. I couldn't seem to find anything but conflicting info when I was searching earlier today and conflicting or not, this actually makes more sense than what I read earlier. She looks like a faded Barred Rock until you look at her legs. It's odd. Lol. She also HATES having her picture taken. I guess I'm just going to call her a Marans and be done with it. Hah!!

Thank you!!! One of these pictures looks like my 3 month old!

French Marans are supposed to have feathered leggs

That's what I was taking from some of what I read and then something else called what I thought were French Marans, Cuckoo Marans instead and they had feathered legs. So I got insanely confused. Lol. Figured I'd turn to the wisdom of BYC.

I was able to snap some beautiful shots of her this morning. Uploading now. IMG_1243.jpg IMG_1258.jpg IMG_1259.jpg

She's beautiful! When I first got my two (husband picked them out) I didn't really like them much because they were naughty. Very curious, getting into things and always stealing my earrings. But they have grown on me. Cuckoo Marans have amusing personalities and give nice eggs. Enjoy!

She's beautiful! When I first got my two (husband picked them out) I didn't really like them much because they were naughty. Very curious, getting into things and always stealing my earrings. But they have grown on me. Cuckoo Marans have amusing personalities and give nice eggs. Enjoy!

Awh! Love it! Yeah, she's always the first to come running to see if I've brought anything fun to eat or she's all up in my business while I'm trying to do daily chicken chores. But she may very well be the sweetest out of all of them. I'm ready for those eggs!

Back
Top Bottom