Difference between Red Star and Red Sexlink?

Apr 9, 2019
Maryland
This thought just crossed my mind.
I have 12 -- oh wait, 11 now :hit -- Red Sexlinks and I was wondering if there was a difference between Red Stars and Red Sexlinks and what it is.

Star is a marketing name for Sex Link chickens. Red Stars are Red Sex Links. Black Stars are Black Sex Links. There may even be Gold or Golden Stars which would be sort of buff colored Red Sex Links. I don't know how many different hatcheries use "STAR" as a marketing name, could be one, could be more. What it means is that hatcheries specific Red Sex Link.

Red sex links are chickens that you can tell sex by down color at hatch. The pullets have reddish down that will turn to red or buff feathers, the cockerels have yellow down which will turn to white feathers. Some of these are crosses of certain breeds, some are crosses developed for commercial egg layers, not just certain breeds. These can be marketed under various names. If you see "Star" or "Comet" it is a sex link. There are certain names for specific crosses, Cinnamon Queen for example. Some people call a cross between a Rhode Island Red male and A Rhode Island White hen a Cinnamon queen. Others use a RIR male over a Silver Laced Wyandotte and call the chick a Cinnamon Queen.

It's stuff like this why I just consider marketing names to be marketing names and not necessarily that specific. They might mean different things to different people.

Back
Top Bottom