1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cottagegarden, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Okay, that makes sense...I wasn't planning on putting them together till they were bigger (although, I wasn't thinking 7-8 months:() I may end up having to build another pen for them...Thanks for the help guys [​IMG]

You're welcome. Good luck, and may your chicks be happy and healthy [​IMG]

2. phoebeq

phoebeq Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Quote:Oh, I don't think that will be a problem...Cackle seems to be pretty good [​IMG] I ordered 20 chicks last year...they sent me 21 and I didn't lose ANY due to anything that would have been caused by the hatchery [​IMG]

3. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    Just thought I'd post some pics of our EE Aerin!
    Here she is as a baby
    [​IMG]
    here she is a bit older
    [​IMG]
    And a couple just today!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think she is rather cute at the moment!

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Here is one of my little 17 week girls. I can't really tell what kind of comb she has. It's so tiny. Does this mean that it is probably a pea comb? I hope so! Thanks
    [​IMG]

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yes, that's a pea comb, she has pretty lacing [​IMG]

6. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    I haven't really seen any pictures in here so far that look exactly like the EE's I have. However, I realize their feathers will liekly change as they molt and become mature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They both have noticeable facial tufts, but they came on fairly recently. You wouldn't have probably been able to tell 3 weeks ago that the were going to get any facial feathers different from the others.
    I've heard many comments about them being cockerels, but at about 9-10 weeks, and with what their combs still look like (which is still rosy pink, not red at all really, and quite flat) I'm not so sure they aren't pullets.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Those both appear to be cockerels to me in my experience with EE's those colors usually indicate males. Also the combs are a bit to pink for 9-10 week old EE and Ameraucana hens combs stay flat and immature for a long time.

8. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Quote:Those both appear to be cockerels to me in my experience with EE's those colors usually indicate males. Also the combs are a bit to pink for 9-10 week old EE and Ameraucana hens combs stay flat and immature for a long time.

I hope you're wrong, but you'd know better than I would! [​IMG]
    I'll keep tabs on them and maybe post them back up a little bit further down the road and see what any changes may be.

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:I agree...... The first one is very much a cockerel from what I can tell. That color is almost always indicative of male EEs - pretty common actually. Females do come along as salt and pepper / black and white, but they have more black than the males, with males seeming to follow a pattern of more white (with almost columbian markings).

As for the second one, the red EE coloring isn't too common. He/she may stay that way, or change into more of the "wild type" color. But from the comb, it also makes me lean towards it being a boy.

EE's/AMs are harder to sex earlier than other breeds, from what I've seen and been told.

You have some cut little babies!

10. Donald2010

Donald2010 New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Araucanas by APA / ABA standards Must have Feather "Tufts", Not Muffs - NO beard. Rumpless

Here is a photo of our 5 week Pullet and 8 month old mom ( Araucana Hen) and a Araucana Cock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roo
    [​IMG]

Sell poultry - Auction - http://www.alohaisp.com/poultry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by