Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*

Well it sounds like I'm the 4828263th person to ask, but I'd love any thoughts on whether we have pullets or cockerels on our hands. They are about 7 weeks old. Izzy is a Buff Orpington; Batchick we were told by the feedstore is an Americauna, but after reading through BYC posts I gather that's nearly impossible and is more likely an Easter Egger.

The girls when we first got them:

Today:

Izzy:

Batchick:

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Vanessa

Last edited:
Well it sounds like I'm the 4828263th person to ask, but I'd love any thoughts on whether we have pullets or cockerels on our hands. They are about 7 weeks old. Izzy is a Buff Orpington; Batchick we were told by the feedstore is an Americauna, but after reading through BYC posts I gather that's nearly impossible and is more likely an Easter Egger.

The girls when we first got them:

Today:

Izzy:

Batchick:

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Vanessa
Can you take some photos in natural lighting? Indoors, coloring can be distorted.

I think I already see some pink on izzy's comb, and that would be a bad sign. (Coloring in the comb at this age usually means male).

Batchick looks pretty female, I see no coloring in the comb, and no male feathers on either.

Too early to know for sure.

Batchick is clearly an EE.

I think I already see some pink on izzy's comb, and that would be a bad sign. (Coloring in the comb at this age usually means male).

Batchick looks pretty female, I see no coloring in the comb, and no male feathers on either.

Too early to know for sure.

Batchick is clearly an EE.

Thanks for your insight! It's funny, Batchick is bigger so I've always been worried about her, but at the same time Izzy is much more dominant. I realize neither determines pullet vs cockerel (considering they're different breeds and it's probably just their pecking order), but my concerns might have been misdirected!

Here's a couple more pics, taken outside an hour ago:

Thank you again!!

Last edited:

The feed store sign said Ameraucana. Was told they were NOT EE's.

Out of the 3, this one has a black spot on its head. Can you tell me if it is an Ameraucana or EE? Too soon to tell?

These are the other two we got from the feed store. Same time.

Last edited:

The feed store sign said Ameraucana. Was told they were NOT EE's.

Out of the 3, this one has a black spot on its head. Can you tell me if it is an Ameraucana or EE? Too soon to tell?

These are the other two we got from the feed store. Same time.

If it came from a feed store it's an EE. The hatcheries call them ameraucana even though they aren't and the feed store just goes by what the hatchery claims.

Back
Top Bottom