Aug 19, 2019
Statesboro, GA, USA
I've had a 22 week old Sapphire Gem laying for a little over a week now. Out of 10 days, I've gotten 8 eggs. I know the breed is supposed to be an eggcellent layer, so I wasn't thinking too much about it, but I'm getting two different shades of brown. Nothing crazy, but enough to be able to tell it's not her normal shade without comparing them side-by-side.

Can shades vary on a daily basis, or am I looking for another layer in my flock? I have 2 other pullets with developed wattles, and one of those has been squatting for almost a week.

The two lighter eggs are the ones I get more often than the suspicious slightly more brown on the left.
IMG_20200112_144329.jpg

Check their pelvic bone ...
www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I now say "usually" 2 finger = laying. Recently one of my WTB proved different, she measured only a very tight 1.75 finger yet she's laying. The egg first egg had a blood streak and her eggs are very narrow with ripples. Concerned but keeping a close eye.

Back to your question ... I have found with new layers, the shades may differ however the shape of the egg doesn't change. The picture below is of my 2 WTG that were laying, I know who lays what color cause I "stalk" the newbies. Notice the shade of the one egg (3rd from the bottom on the right), it's from the same girl that laid the "olive" colored eggs but to me seems to have more blue. It happened at her 3rd week of laying, haven't seen it again/it's been a week.

2020 Whitings - 01 Egg:Red's off color.jpg

Check their pelvic bone ...
www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I now say "usually" 2 finger = laying. Recently one of my WTB proved different, she measured only a very tight 1.75 finger yet she's laying. The egg first egg had a blood streak and her eggs are very narrow with ripples. Concerned but keeping a close eye.

Back to your question ... I have found with new layers, the shades may differ however the shape of the egg doesn't change. The picture below is of my 2 WTG that were laying, I know who lays what color cause I "stalk" the newbies. Notice the shade of the one egg (3rd from the bottom on the right), it's from the same girl that laid the "olive" colored eggs but to me seems to have more blue. It happened at her 3rd week of laying, haven't seen it again/it's been a week.

View attachment 2000834

Now I'm going to have to chase my girls down to really check them. :lol: I've had two eggs with blood streaks, one the first day and then again with the third egg. Normal shapes and sizes, though.

I've heard of eggs getting lighter as the week's go by, but I haven't heard of darker. I love your eggs! :love

So I have two with enough space between their pelvic bones to be laying, the Sapphire Gem and the Barred Rock. I guess all of these eggs are coming from my SG, because I've yet to see my BR in the nesting boxes. She doesn't have any secret nests either, so maybe I'll get another layer tomorrow! :fl

Shade can vary occasionally but should not regularly. There are different things that can affect that day's shade. Most if those will make it lighter but I can think of some that might make it darker. Pullets don't always have perfect control over all phases of the egg making and egg laying process. You are more likely to get weird eggs when pullets start laying. So it could just be a pullet glitch.

Brown is laid on top of the egg during the last phase before laying. If something delayed the egg being laid more brown may have been laid on. If that egg is a little smaller she may have produced the same amount of brown as usual but with less egg to cover it looks darker. It doesn't look like this, but the last thing a hen does when laying an egg is put a layer that we call "bloom" on it just as it is exiting her body. That bloom is usually really clear but some hens tint it a little which can change the shade of the egg. Maybe her bloom was more or less tinted one day. All these are normal and nothing to worry about. But most days the shade should be pretty close.

My preferred method to see if a pullet or hen is laying is to look at her vent. If it is large, soft, and moist she is laying or about to start. If it is dry and tight, she is not laying. It is generally easiest to check them at night where you can just take them off the roost. No chasing required unless you want the chasing as a cardio workout.

My guess is that you have a second one laying, but that's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom